Thoughts on steel panel roofing

I have been seeing more and more steel panel roofs, not standing seam but pull barn steel as we call in. I think they looks very cheezy and some smaller towns wont allow them on residential homes, city code, so Ive been told. We dont put these roofs on so Im not sure the pros and cons. Are they loud with the rain, do they fade in color quickly, do the rubber seals around the screws dry out etc?

It is huge here! I put them on a lot and I tell the homeowner they will probably need to replace the screws in about 10 yrs. They don’t look to bad if you box in all the edges with rake edge an snow guards. It’s what the public is moving towards so learn as much as you can about it.

We have installed pro rib on many residential homes. We use the pro rib premium it has a life time fade warranty. Also reflects the sun keeping homes cooler. I’ve never had a complaint about it being noisy in the rain. Very resistant to hail and wind some insurance companies will give them a discount on the home owners policy. The screws will need changed eventually as the rubber will dry out.

Do you mean pole barn?

If I’m thinking of the right thing… Those panels look like they are made for a shack in the middle of a forest.

LOL! Yep pole barn, had a brain fart.
Thats exactly what I think. Makes houses look very, I dont know, cheap for the lack of a better word.

Here in the steel making capital of America, if you mention anything beyond an EF system (& the cost of it) you’ve lost 'em

Wb - I’ve meet a few people who always called it a pull barn. Its always funny when you ask them why its called that.

Gus - What is an EF system?

Is this a 36" screw down panel over a standing seam or snap-loc concealed fastener metal roofing system question?. I perfer the concealed fastener metal roofing system over the " screw down " system just for the maitenance and asthetic reasons alone. Here it is there is not much more of a material cost difference too.(about 5.00 a square) yes labor is more extensiveon the snap loc conceled fastener system but well worth it. But i will install what ever the customer asks.

[quote=“RooferR”]Wb - I’ve meet a few people who always called it a pull barn. Its always funny when you ask them why its called that.

Gus - What is an EF system?[/quote]

exposed fastener

[quote=“RooferR”]Wb - I’ve meet a few people who always called it a pull barn. Its always funny when you ask them why its called that.

Gus - What is an EF system?[/quote]

EF- Exposed Fastener. Almost All that I see in this area here are 36" Ag panels or pole barn panels

theese panels with all the exsposed fasteners that you see going on everywhere is because they are the only roofs that stay on in the high winds.
standing seams blow rite off.

they are very popular here in the hurricane zones.

put those metal roofs on with no exsposed fasteners
if ya want to.

i dont warranty standing seams against wind uplift.
seen to many blown off.

gweedo

Hello,

Gweedo, it is all in the installation.
Here we have to put clips every foot on the top and bottom of the panels all the way across the roof as well as every 2 feet up the panel for the first 4 to 6 feet in from the rake. Once you pass the 6 foot area the clips go every 3 to 4 feet apart.
Although we don’t have hurricanes here in AK we do get hurricane force winds and metal seems to hold up well.

Keith

standing seam is the best with a hook and hem

We are in an area thats been installing exposed fastner systems for over 30 years on residential,they have proven to last and have high wind resistance.We use zac or an equal screw i have steel roofs pushing 20 years old that have no leak issues or fastner issues.We offer 10 year labor warrantys on these roofs,done right they will last.With the cost of shingles and felt it is now cheaper for me to buy a 26 gauge steel package then a 30 year shingle package.Last roof ordered cost about 95 a square for sheets,screws,flat sheets for trim and seam tape.

Seems to vary region to region.