Tool question - what do you like?

For Christmas, I got the Ryobi deal they had @ “Big Orange Box”. 18v, drill & 5.5" saw (think it has 2 blades).

They’ve had this one on sale for $ 90.00 ever since Black Friday hit.

The one I want is the DeWalt cordless saw (already have a few cordless drills; one Ryobi for little stuff, lightweight & a DeWalt 24v regular drill + a right angle DeWalt).

The DeWalt cordless is $ 200.00. What I’d primarily use it for is ridge vent cut-in’s & the occasional 2x4 cut. The cordless aspect makes it kinda nice, IMO, for the ridge vent work.

If I did this, it would be a trade-in on the Ryobi kit.

A few questions for y’all:

What’s your opinion for using this kind of product for the ridge vent application?

Is the DeWalt $$ worth it?

Do you think the Ryobi would hold up?

What about the intended use? Skip it & stick with an extension cord?

For cordless I prefer Makita. Have had Dewalt in the past and I don’t think they can compare in quality.

For ridge vent. I usually have to deal with slate and that is best done with a corded worm drive(Skil) and diamond blade. Then an old Milwaukee circular with carbide tip.

The only time I use a cordless is on something small,or when no power is available. I just think the electrical tools have more power.Plus you don’t have the worry about the battery having enough juice.

I only get about 30’ cutting osb with a single charge.
Sometimes not even that much.

Cordless saws will work for cutting open ridges but not very well unless it is short cuts.

I have had Bosch 24v, Porter Cable 19.2v, and Dewalt 24v cordless saws.
I like the Bosch the best.

i have a ryobi cordless drill and sawzall.
and dewalt cordless drills, 5 3/8 saw, sawzall, and grinder. all 18 volts
i bring all the dewalt to work in a hard suitcase, and leave the ryobi at home.
i love my little saw up on the roof for ridge vent or replacing decking. (ground guy has the saw with a cord for cutting the wood to send up. also dewalt). and i have 7 batteries! but if theres a problem the corded saw is sent right up.
my little 5 3/8 can also fit on a “monster hook” clipped to my side.
the grinder is perfect for releading a chimney without a cord hanging around.
nothing against ryobi but i’ve had my dewalt set for ten years now. still just as strong

we have both dewalt, and the ryobi lithium ion.

the cordless 5.5" circular saw is good for little pieces of trim, and light work, but it SUCKS for cutting ridge, or decking thats thick. it binds up and frustrates the hell out of you. just stick with the cord.

but, the damn things are nice cuz they are so light weight.

Thanks for the replies.

One clarification here & I’m sorta laughing @ y’all here

I was in the store today & it’s actually an 18v & not 24.

The funny part is that I put up a poll but couldn’t see any results. I thought I had to place a vote to see the results & when I did, I noticed that I was the only vote.

Thanks again for the responses. I think I might stick with the cord & keep on wishing for a corded unit that has full power (btw, this would be for decking only on a re-roofing & hopefully not for fully shingled setups).

I voted for the one with the extra ‘less’ in it. Or at least I assume that ‘less’ shouldn’t be there.

Never had any luck with cordless saws. Good for cutting 2x4’s during light framing work, but thats about it.

I use hitachi mainly for my corded tools like skill saw, guns, and corded drill.

For my cordless I use all dewalt and the only real reason is because once I got a few tools and they all seemed to work relatively well and I was pleased I just kept buying them because you can transfer batteries between all the tools.

I have the 18v lithium ion batteries which charge up fast, they charge up in the dewalt radio we use. If I had bought a hitachi as my first cordedless tool and liked it I probably would of stuck with it. But so far no problems.

We also have a dewalt factory refurbished store and all tools look brand new and come with the same warranty for more than 50 percent off the brand new price, so I often go there when I get the itch to get a new tool.

I was cruising around the net and looking at framing nailers I cam across a few that are Gas compressor cordless, anyone have any input on these?

I was cruising around the net and looking at framing nailers I cam across a few that are Gas compressor cordless, anyone have any input on these?

I think you are referring to an airless framing nailer like the Paslode Impulse gun? If so I have had good experiences with these. I would not use it for a large framing project, but for replacing some sheets of plywood or moving a couple walls around they are invaluable. So much time and inconvenience is saved when you just pull out a gun and have no compressor to tote around and hoses to roll out. It can take a decent fall too. I’ve dropped mine 10 ft. a couple times it still works.

Here is what im talking about.

reconditionedsales.com/Hitac … onditioned___i317.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl4D_y4iYZ4)

[quote=“Aroofing”]Here is what im talking about.

reconditionedsales.com/Hitac … onditioned___i317.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl4D_y4iYZ4)

Whoa that guy on the vid was really excited about hitachi’s gun.

yeah thats the same concept as the paslode, paslode has been around longer. They will tell you it is as good as an air nailer but it’s not. If you race someone of equal skill framing a wall with that gun and you with an air nailer you will smoke them. It’s just not as fast, you have to keep it clean, you have to buy fuel cells and batteries for it too. It does have its place though, and can save a lot of time with certain projects.[/quote]

Milwaukee 28v and bosch 36v are the way to fly for cordless circular saws.Numerous cuts per charge,unbeleivable!!!

[quote="-Axiom-"]I only get about 30’ cutting osb with a single charge.
Sometimes not even that much.

Cordless saws will work for cutting open ridges but not very well unless it is short cuts.

I have had Bosch 24v, Porter Cable 19.2v, and Dewalt 24v cordless saws.
I like the Bosch the best.[/quote]

Bosch definitely rocks.

I have a Ryobi 18v Cordless Sipsaw and it works perfectly for my venting needs. Of course if it’s ridge venting then I use a corded circular saw.

I would like to say all you guys the Happy Christmas and Happy New Year coming soon.

I personally hate ryobi tools. They are a little too cheap for me. But they are extremely inexpensive. I only use wormdrives and porter cable circular saws. After years of use, they stand the test of time. I have never had a ridge to cut where I couldn’t reach it with one or maybe two 100’ cords. For all my portable needs I use lithium ion makita drills, impact drivers and for the sawzall.

I had a ryobi set when they first came out, but i dropped it 6 feet onto a wooden deck and the s.o.b cracked right in half and would no longer go into reverse. With the makita impact driver I can screw my rubber roofing plates down on a 10 sq. section on pretty much 1 battery. With the 18 volt 3.0mhz battery.

Corded tools, cordless tools, milwaukee is the only one that lasts for me. I break everything else. Too bad they don’t make a roofing nailer.

Bosch drills…Makita saw…Hitachi guns.