Well, the roof and fascia repairs are occurring as I write. Struggling with a carpenter this morning. He’s telling me that a piece of fascia isn’t worth replacing. I say it is . See the photo and tell me if I’m wrong. please. Also, is OSB really better than CDX?
I wouldn’t say that you “have” to replace it. With the amount of overhang you have it should be protected from most rain. With that said I would most certainly replace if it was my house. Also when doing a quote I would bring it to the attention of the homeowner and let them decide if they want it replaced or not. Its a much more of a pain doing it after the roof is replaced as opposed to doing it while doing the roof replacement.
In regards to osb vs cdx its pretty much “Chevys and Fords”. Older guys always swear by cdx, however I feel the cdx of today isn’t up to the standards it was 20 years ago. Pretty much if either gets wet repeatedly you will have problems. Osb will swell up when it gets wet and cdx will warp and delaminate when it gets wet, so you can pick your poison. Osb will rot quicker if exposed to the elements though.
Thanks, IslandRoofing. The owner/ of the company came by while the carpenter and roofers were here. I went around with him to show him the good and the not so good of the work as it stood at that point (more good than not). The photo below is the final outcome of the corner issue.
I didn’t get all of the soffit and fascia I wanted replaced and it was less than the contracted linear and square feet, respectively. However, compared to what I had overall for this job, I consider it acceptable. I did opt for the CDX mainly because the rest of the decking is CDX and it might not stand out as much to a potential buyer. It now spans three rafters instead of none. I have a drip edge (albeit aluminum instead of galvanized). The overhang is within manufacturer’s specs although it looks as if they cut the edges off the shingles on the front instead of moving them back as instructed by the contractor. The hole showing daylight through the attic ended up being some free-moving flashing that was pulled back into place and secured. The vent issue is resolved by replacing the plastic attic vent with a metal goose-neck duct vent with a damper (I had to buy it). The cricket and flashing around the chimney has been fixed. The ridge vents cover the original cuts in the decking and now extend to be flush with the edge of the roof. This also resulted in the mysterious roof “bumps” disappearing.
So there is some give and take. I guess my main concern now would be the "trimming of the shingles and the effect it might have on the warranty. I will let the contractor assess that next week and will rest on his assessment. I’m exhausted. Too old for this much stress! Thanks again for all of your help!
P.S. The roofer (a friendly and chatty guy) said he didn’t know that the drip edge was part of the IRC. He said, “They don’t tell us nothing. We gotta know when they change something!”
Thanks, donl. I went out and looked. There’s a tab on the rake portion that should bend around the eave part (assuming the other corners are correct) . It looks like the carpenter might have pulled the drip edge out a little and it needs to be pushed in so they meet. I wonder if it is supposed to be that mobile.