Urgent - Rafter Baffle & Soffit Vent Question

Getting new roof. House is a Cape style.
Need a recommendation on Rafter Baffles for better ventilation. Rafter are 16" apart.

Also my contractor is recommending drilling 4" hole every bay and pooping in 4" round plastic vents. Is that enough? I have attached a picture to show how much soffit is available.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate.
Also manfacturer brand name would be help full.

Thank you

4" round pop in vents are inadequate, even if there is 2 between each truss.
A continuous strip vent is much better.

Yes you need the rafter baffles, over vaulted ceilings you will need them from the soffit to the ridge in most cases.

Rafter baffles and soffit intake will fix the mold problem.

You would need 4 of the 4" diameter mini-louver vents in between each and every 16" On Center Rafter to achieve about 9 Square Inches of NFVA per lineal foot, which is the desired amount to balance a properly fitted continuous Ridge Vent.

Go to the Lomanco site and check out how minimal those types of Intake Vents really are…

lomanco.com/ProductPAGES/CirkVents.html

Continuous strip soffit venting or Smart Vent under the shingles would each be a better choice for the Intake Ventilation.

Ed

Concur SmartVent…

[quote=“ed the roofer”]You would need 4 of the 4" diameter mini-louver vents in between each and every 16" On Center Rafter to achieve about 9 Square Inches of NFVA per lineal foot, which is the desired amount to balance a properly fitted continuous Ridge Vent.

Go to the Lomanco site and check out how minimal those types of Intake Vents really are…

Continuous strip soffit venting or Smart Vent under the shingles would each be a better choice for the Intake Ventilation.

Ed[/quote]

Can you recommend a Continuous strip soffit and also how would you go about installing it on a metal wrapped soffit.
There is no board behind the metal.
Also on cape house with Attic open with Ridge vent, do you install the Baffle from the soffit to all the way to Ridge vent.
Or do you bring the Baffle from soffit upto the Attic and let the air flow into the Attic.

Thanks
mp

[quote=“mp333”]

[quote=“ed the roofer”]You would need 4 of the 4" diameter mini-louver vents in between each and every 16" On Center Rafter to achieve about 9 Square Inches of NFVA per lineal foot, which is the desired amount to balance a properly fitted continuous Ridge Vent.

Ed[/quote]

Can you recommend a Continuous strip soffit and also how would you go about installing it on a metal wrapped soffit.
There is no board behind the metal.
Also on cape house with Attic open with Ridge vent, do you install the Baffle from the soffit to all the way to Ridge vent.
Or do you bring the Baffle from soffit upto the Attic and let the air flow into the Attic.

Thanks
mp[/quote]

Seeing as you already have metal clad soffits, that increases the cost and finesse that a strip soffit under eave Intake Vent would like to provide.

The ones from the Air Vent people are good, but there is very little variation in those products from one manufacturer to another, so, since their is little else to compare, choose which ever one suits your aesthetic appeal, providing that they each offer a 9 square inch per lineal foot NFVA.

Alternatively, the cape cod style is precisely where the Smart Vent from DCI Products has become the most ideal solution from my experiences.

I install the insulation baffle vent chutes on top of the insulation and under the decking all the way from the Intake Ventilation source up to and beyond the knee-wall area, which then transcends into a small triangle enclosed attic area where the proper Ridge Vent should be utilized for the Balance amount of Exhaust Flowage.

Ed

Hi, very helpful info. Related question to this thread.

17 yr. old saltbox with a cathedral ceiling. I told the contractor who built it to make sure we had proper ventilation. He installed a continuous ridge vent and a continuous soffit vent but no rafter vents! R-19 in 2" x 8" space now (with 1" foam board under T&G). Have had some ice daming problems (house in in Maine). Air flow from soffit to ridge probably minimal.

Now replacing roof and fixing ventilation. Taking off all sheathing, adding R15 to what is there and rafter vents (ProVent).

Two questions:
1). Would like to use a soffit baffle but rafters are 16" O.C., looked at products like Accuvent and Wind Block but they seem to be only for 22". Would prefer not to use cardboard. Any suggestions?

2). Have 3 Velux skylights (16" wide), was wondering what is recommended to do with the venting in those rafter cavities?

Thanks!

[quote=“mjkboston”]Hi, very helpful info. Related question to this thread.

17 yr. old saltbox with a cathedral ceiling. I told the contractor who built it to make sure we had proper ventilation. He installed a continuous ridge vent and a continuous soffit vent but no rafter vents! R-19 in 2" x 8" space now (with 1" foam board under T&G). Have had some ice daming problems (house in in Maine). Air flow from soffit to ridge probably minimal.

Now replacing roof and fixing ventilation. Taking off all sheathing, adding R15 to what is there and rafter vents (ProVent).

Two questions:
1). Would like to use a soffit baffle but rafters are 16" O.C., looked at products like Accuvent and Wind Block but they seem to be only for 22". Would prefer not to use cardboard. Any suggestions?

2). Have 3 Velux skylights (16" wide), was wondering what is recommended to do with the venting in those rafter cavities?

Thanks![/quote]

This is what is being installed right now under my roof. I have 16" OC rafters.

roofing.owenscorning.com/homeown … rmate.aspx

MP