Ventilating CapeCod with no overhang

Purchased a cape cod house last spring in Penna., the only attic ventilation is a 24"x24" vent at the peak on each side and one of the vents has a fan that runs most of the summer. I’m going to be replacing the roof this spring and would like to improve the ventilation, there is no overhang so I can’t install soffit venting without some modifications. I was going to build out a small overhang to install a soffit area but in doing my research I came across a GAF product Cobra Faciaflow intake vent. This replaces the existing fascia board and has built in vents, anyone have experience with this product? The roof will be installed by a professional and if the soffit problem is resolved he will also install a ridge vent and the existing vents will be abandoned.
The roofer is a friend and will be doing the work, he was going to build the soffit extensions but is open to the idea of the faciaflow vents but he has not seen or used them before. Any opinions on the best way to proceed with this project??

[quote=“al704”]Purchased a cape cod house last spring in Penna., the only attic ventilation is a 24"x24" vent at the peak on each side and one of the vents has a fan that runs most of the summer. I’m going to be replacing the roof this spring and would like to improve the ventilation, there is no overhang so I can’t install soffit venting without some modifications. I was going to build out a small overhang to install a soffit area but in doing my research I came across a GAF product Cobra Faciaflow intake vent. This replaces the existing fascia board and has built in vents, anyone have experience with this product? The roof will be installed by a professional and if the soffit problem is resolved he will also install a ridge vent and the existing vents will be abandoned.
The roofer is a friend and will be doing the work, he was going to build the soffit extensions but is open to the idea of the faciaflow vents but he has not seen or used them before. Any opinions on the best way to proceed with this project??[/quote]

Sounds like a good plan, make sure that you have clear air flow from the facia to the ridge (not blocked by insulation).

Well if you’re not sure and you’re contractor in installing fascia flow vents then why not add a small soffit with a vent strip. Make sure to allow air to enter the soffit area.

no one has used this?? GAF product Cobra Faciaflow intake vent

I’ve used Coravent to do the same detail I don’t see why the GAF product would be that much different.
It sounds like you have a good plan, the evidence is in the lack of responses.

We just finished up a job very similar to yours. We solved the problem by installing Inhaler vent at the eaves and DCI Smartvent (for exhaust) up the roof. The Inhaler vent mounts directly to the fascia, so if you have gutters they will have to be removed and reinstalled. A 1" wide slot will have to be cut into the decking across the eave by the fascia board. Of course make sure the insulation is not blocking the intake. Image the Inhaler as an oversized drip edge, approxiamately 5"x5", with a honeycomb vent behind it. It is all made from a heavy plastic and hides very nicely behind the gutter. We went into the attic and found where the interior wall intersected the roof and went down a couple inches and cut a 1" wide slot the length of the Smartvent we laid out. This solved our problem with static air in a dead space. The cost was approxiamately $4 a linear foot compared to about $10.

This is what we use.

SmartVent

everflovent.com/pro_inhaler.html
dciproducts.com/html/smartvent.htm

Here are the links to the two brands of ventilation I referred to above. Check them out and form your own opinion.

Nice discussion are going on about ventilating Cape Cod with no overhang. Thanks!