Ventilating skylight on curb---done right?

Hi guys,

Our home has a flat roof. Last fall we had the old tar and gravel surface replaced with torch-on. The roofers did a great job (stripped all old material from the deck, applied new material carefully and neatly, etc.). But there’s one thing we’re not sure about.

We have a curb-mounted, crank-operated ventilating skylight over our main bath. Since the roof was replaced, the bathroom feels cold and drafty, and we hear more outside noise.

I finally got up there and looked. The torch-on runs up the sides of the skylight curb and covers its top surface. So the skylight’s rubber bottom now rests on pebbly composition material.

This doesn’t seem like a very good seal. Is that the standard method, or should it have been done differently?

I’d just like to have some idea about this before I call the roofers. Thanks for your help!

============================================

(Feb. 26) Hi again—For some reason the forum isn’t letting me reply to your replies… But it is letting me edit my existing message, so I’ll paste my reply here:

Yes, seems to me that’d be a much better way. I’ll call the roofers and ask them to come by, trim back the roll, and add the stripping. Thanks for your help!

============================================

I always like to terminate my roofing membrane at the inside of roof curb.

Have them install a peel and stick weatherstrip at the top of curb. Can use foam or rubber strips for this.
This will prevent air from moving through the curb and skylight and should cut down on noise.

we usually run base over curb and the cap is cut flush with top of curb, then a strip like tumpline said.Or counterflashing then stripping…