Ventilation Experts!

Hi. I know this is going to be a busy topic with many differences of opinions!!!

I am building the house in the photos below and would like to have some opinions about venting the roof. As you can see it is a large roof with not much ridge areas. Below are a few facts of the house
All the soffit will be vented.
All the possible ridge areas will have ridge vent.

My Questions Are,

If I put gable vents on the front gables like shown in the photo will that cancel out my soffit ventilation? Would it be a good idea to have the gable vents or should I just let the soffit and ridge do the ventilation for the gable areas?

Also I am sure that I don’t have enough ridge vent for this size of roof…. So I am thinking about adding one or two power attic vents to the top section of the back slope. Would this be enough ventilation based on what you see in the photos? Also does adding two power attic vents in the same general area cancel each other out?

Ok ventilation experts, have at it!!!

Skip the ridge vent. Stick with the power fans.Ridge vent and power fans cancel eachother out because the fans will draw from the closest opening which will turn your ridge vent into an intake which will only ventilate the top portion.Be sure that all plywood is cut away on the inside so that all gables will ventilate.Or close them on the inside and use ridge vent on all gables.Another way to go is use ridge vent,no fans,and a hip and valley ventilation product which is made by DCI products. I have used this product several times with excellent results. But be sure to always use ice and water shield when installing.

Ask your builder. OOOOPs I forgot. Builderrs know nothing about roofing.

OOOOOPS I forgot. They do know one thing---- Price per square… And that of course makes them experts

[quote=“Idiot Savant”]Ask your builder. OOOOPs I forgot. Builderrs know nothing about roofing.

OOOOOPS I forgot. They do know one thing---- Price per square… And that of course makes them experts[/quote]

Thanks. I appreciate that reply. That really helps me out.

You’re Welcome

I would have to advise venting hips also.
I would also consider a High end Limited lifetime shingle, or fake slate…You will be looking at 30k for tear off when the time comes,and you may as well not even bother landscaping the perimeter of the home,lol cause when the shingles come off a house like that it is like a freight train rolling through your front yard…
I also framed nearly that exact plan for a High End builder in Nazareth,P.A. in 2004…and they vented hip & ridge with no power fans…

[quote=“tj_06_Z28”]

[quote=“Idiot Savant”]Ask your builder. OOOOPs I forgot. Builderrs know nothing about roofing.

OOOOOPS I forgot. They do know one thing---- Price per square… And that of course makes them experts[/quote]

Thanks. I appreciate that reply. That really helps me out.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing.

Skip the ridge vents. Two power vents. Someone said make sure plywood is cut out at gables. This is right. Nice house.

Thanks. I used the presidential shakes with the mountain ridge caps. What if I put ridge vent on all the gables but did not put any on the main ridge at the top and just put one fan on the back slope? Can the ridge vent work for the front part of the home and the power vent work for the back? I dont really want to use the vented hips as I already spend $1700 on the mountain ridge caps!!! :shock:

Well heres some things that you need to figure out, is the attic all open? if so 2 power vents will not be enough by looking at that type of home. I will need the length and width of the home to figure what you really need. If the roof is cut apart like my dads is then you have to ventilate each area differently. So please give me the dimentions (sorry cants spell for some reason today) of the home and if the attic is fully open or is closed off in different areas. Also you have to address the elevation changes of the house. you cant just slap up a couple of power vents on that home and think it will be ok. My father has a simlar home and well i have i think 20 some slant back cans on the home due to elevation changes and blocked access to different parts of the home. And i agree i have not seen a builder do a roof right yet. Make SURE he is not putting IKO shingles on your home. I m not a fan of them thats all i will say about that, long story. Get me the info i have asked for and i will get back to you. I can not give you answer with out knowing if the attic is fully open, the elevations changes complicate things greatly. Ridge vent will be useless and they are right with power vents it just will turn into a intake source air follows the path of least resistance.