Very Good Article

crca.org/Resources/documents … ingles.pdf

Well, let me try that again – (2 pages)

crca.org/Resources/documents … ingles.pdf

That is a great example of my sales presentation. I try to educate my prospective customers of the quality of the products and the importance of PROPER INSTALLATION. I do this so that (IF) they get other bids, they can make an educated decision, not just compare prices. Most of the time when I am finished w/explaining the proper procedure of replacing the roof, they feel confident that I am the one to do the job…Finances are usually the only set back! When it is a referral estimate there is no price comparing…They just sign! I offer an oral quote,and if they agree I return w/a TYPED CONTRACT,including specific brand names and quantities,and also a TYPED CONTRACTORS WARRANTY,and the MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY (before) I take a dime of their money and go over every detail(including any pricing for sheathing replacement. I don’t try to hide the fact that sometimes you may run into unforseen damage that will result in EXTRA CHARGES…I let them know what I call a WORST CASE price,and never go over it! I need to know that they are financially prepared to handle any problems that may be hidden by the existing shingles. Usually I am pretty good about diagnosing the amount of sheets that will need to be replaced.So it is not too often that I have any extra charges…This also helps in the referral dept. When a customer tells a friend that my prices are a little higher,but they know in advance what the TOTAL cost will be PRIOR to doing any work. You have no idea how many CONtractors are out there not even bringing up the fact that sheathing replacement is a strong possibility, then they HAMMER them with some outragous CHARGE for the work…I have actually had a prospect tell me that the 1st guy was $1500.00 cheaper,but he would not quote a price for damaged sheets! 36 sheets in my bid.

I also ask a prospect to call the local building code enforcement official for references…3rd party w/no affiliation, and sees every job( EVEN THE COMPETITORS)

The article states what I was trying to say a few posts back – “Roofers should ADJUST the System to the SITUATION”. That is exactly what I was trying to get across when I said “Thinking” “Using Judgement” “One Size Doesn’t Fit All”

You are correct Megan.
But the problem with your house is the framing, not the roof.
We as roofers see it all the time to varying degrees.
That is what we were trying to explain to you.

I just did a roof for a guy that had a 3" sag in the middle of the roof. It was over a garage,and was under framed. 24’ 2x6 rafters with a knee wall under it to the 22’ 2x6 ceiling joists.lol THIS WILL REQUIRE A 3- 1-3/4 x 16" L.V.L. BEAM UNDER THE ceiling TO SUPPORT THE LOAD.This is not my problem as the roofer. I did make the customer aware of the situation. He must do something about it,so he asked me for a price to make this repair…It will need to be done before the snow starts to fall.

That is a good article but as Jwool said, its not the roofers problem. Ive seen this many times on the older houses around this area and there really is not much we can do unless the framing is fixed. We have a guy who has done framing for numerous years but still, its a big hassle. The roof on your house Megan looks like it was done properly. There really is nothing you can do to it so you shouldnt worry about it. Look at it this way, until YOU decided you needed a new roof and until that happened to you, how often did you drive around looking at other peoples roofs? I think only roofers and people who just got theres done and arent happy with them do that. Ive come to the realization that not a lot of people look at there roofs or realize how they are the MOST IMPORTANT investment to your home. Remember, they are what keeps your hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of investments dry and protected.

There is nothing those roofers could do to fix it. They were paid to do a roof, not frame a house. Sorry to say it but its something you will have to stop being upset and frustrated about.

Take Care.

Axiom and BamBam – I understand completely. I know that Framing is the problem on my house. Just wish the Contractor would have “ADVISED” me that a Ridge Vent would not have a good appearance on my house because of the framing issues. It would have looked nicer without the Vent – and I could have gone with some other type of “passive ventilation.” I’m not blaming the Contractor for my Framing. Problem was not getting Advice/Suggestions/Options to minimize the flaws. Thanks, have a good day.

Yeah that would have been nice of them. Now that you know what you think should be done to help it look better, try calling some contractors around the area and explain the problem to them and see if they will work with you to help you fix it. Like ive said, we have done this a few times before where other companies did not do it to the customers approval. It will of course cost money but its something that can be done in a matter of a few short hours. We will usually spend a day sending two guys out to fix them everyone in awhile. Hopefully you find a company like that around your area that will fix it if you want to spend more money. I bet there are places that will do it for you as well.

I hope it works out. Take Care.

With minimal cost, a rolled ridgevent can be installed with cap shingles,and kept back from both ends 24" . This will minimize the appearance of the dip at the end of the ridge. I always cap and vent this way. You do not want to eliminate the entire ridgevent to make a better appearance…I would not look to try to have structural work done,it does not look like it requires it. I am sure that if it did , the roofer you used would have told you that your roof was caving in. This is a common issue with older homes.

How do I go about getting a Certified Venting Expert to inspect to see if I have enough Intake. Does Certainteed have Reps in the various States?

Ed?,lol…Oh Ed, where are you Ed!..