Wants money for roof materials after delivery

I’m a homeowner.

Is it common for a roofer to want to be paid for the materials after they’re delivered on site?

Versus after everything is completed.

I was told twice in the beginning, “no money up front”. Now I am hearing different.

I believe the roofer is delivering all the materials himself, not a supply company like I’ve seen on some homes around here.

Opinions?? Thanks.

It all depends on the roofer.Some want some money before starting the job and some after the completion of the job.

I always want 40% of the total on the day the shingles are delivered and the rest after the work is complete.
No exceptions.

at the cost of material today and the economy like it is,i ask for a material deposit from customers on large jobs, IF YOUR GONNA PAY THEN YOUR GONNA PAY AND YOU DONT MIND A MATERIAL DEPOSIT,PAY YOUR ROOFER OR GO SOME WHERE ELSE !!

If the roofer told you twice that no money was required up front, he should not go back on his word. Up front is before the roof is complete. I’d get things straight now.

I see ‘up front’ meaning before you start, like a down payment. I usually ask for 50 % day we start, remainder when I’m done. Dont take this the wrong way, but we always hear about roofers scamming homeowners, well there are lots of scandalous homeowners trying to get over on roofers too.So he is probably just being careful.Good luck-Ray

I guess I’m missing the problem here. You have your materials sitting on your property. What possible reason would you have for objecting to making a deposit? Well, I can think of a couple but none of them logical and none of them boding well for the roofer.

If the materials are correct, pay the guy his deposit and get your roof built. He has followed through on his promise of no payment up front. You have several thousands of dollars worth of materials sitting there, the job has started.

[quote=“Authentic_Dad”]I guess I’m missing the problem here. You have your materials sitting on your property. What possible reason would you have for objecting to making a deposit? Well, I can think of a couple but none of them logical and none of them boding well for the roofer.

If the materials are correct, pay the guy his deposit and get your roof built. He has followed through on his promise of no payment up front. You have several thousands of dollars worth of materials sitting there, the job has started.[/quote]

As usual, I agree 100% with Dad.

He stuck to his word. Materials are delivered. Its not “up front” anymore. Pay the man his money.

I agree and if a homeower is concerned with putting money down, I’ve had them cut the check to the supplier. I live in a small town and have to travel long distances for work so upfront is best for us. To cover travel expenses and dump fees.

I think it is more than fair to pay when materials are delivered. After all don’t we wait a couple of weeks (a couple of months if the homeowner signs a check with the mortgage companies name on it before sending it off. BTW DON"T DO THIS) to get the depreciation check.

Based upon the name you have chosen to use, its obvious your a troll.

Anyone refusing to pay when materials arrive and job starts is a goofy dude.

Like Most of the guys here “up Front” means before you start the job. Once the material is on your roof does not matter how it got there it has begun. He should get his money. We do this all the time I ask 40% payment as soon as there is material on the roof remaining upon completion.

Irregardless of what HE said, what does the CONTRACT say?

Sorry Gus… But this is one of my pet peeves… “irregardless” is not a word. lol

The whole neighborhood is getting new roofs due to storm damage.

I started this post to find out if my situation was normal in the industry. None of my other proposals mention money up front.

There’s no contract with this roofer yet, just a hand written proposal. I was told this info after I said “let’s do it” and then the contract would be written up. At this point he told me about the money needed for materials. This was AFTER previously telling me on a voicemail that “no money up front” “money would be due after the work is completed”.

He knew I was hesitant to use him as his bid was so low. Thousands less than others.

[quote=“brokehomeowner”] I’ve recently been given money by the insurance company due to recent storm damage loss.

He knew I was hesitant to use him as his bid was so low. Thousands less than others.[/quote]

Assuming the insurance company paid the correct amount to replace your roof, the only part you have to pay for is the deductable.

Taking bids isnt wrong, but your main concern should be the roofing contractor and his reputation, not how much each wants to charge. Usually,the contractor agrees to do the roof for what insurance will pay.

I find it odd that none of the contractors you spoke with werent able to get you set up for a new roof. They all failed when they wrote the estimate.

Of course, that is assuming all info you provided is accurate.

Just curious-did you show the insurance papers to the contractors ?
N

brokehomeowner,
Just curious…Why use the lowest bidder on your insurance project? Especially since you are hesitant because he is the lowest (thousands).
Are you trying to profit from your loss? Or save the insurance company a few dollars?

[quote=“828br”]brokehomeowner,
Just curious…Why use the lowest bidder on your insurance project? Especially since you are hesitant because he is the lowest (thousands).
Are you trying to profit from your loss? Or save the insurance company a few dollars?[/quote]

I’m betting they are trying to pocket some money.

Its going to be a rude awakening when they send in that invoice, and they dont get the final check like they thought.

Unless you have an ACV policy. Ive just been burned so much this year with customers who want NOTHING more than to pocket money. No concern of quality or anything but what contractor can commit fraud and stuff a couple of dollars into the customers pocket.

Insurance has already given us all the money we’re getting for the roof.

Only one roofer was asking about all the insurance numbers.

I didn’t know the prices were negotiable based on what the insurance paid.

Not going to profit from insurance…lol. Went with cheapest because we still had to come up with extra $ which we have.

ALL the roofers I talked to were ones that had did other neighbors homes in the past. The cheapest one has no listing on the BBB site (if that even matters) but did good work on a neighbor’s home which I guess is more important.

brokehomeowner
Are you sure the insurance company has given you all of the money you are owed? Do you have a actual cash policy (ACV)? I have only seen ACV policy on wood shake/shingle roofs. Although I guess it depends on the insurance company.
You shouldn’t have any money out of pocket besides your deductible if you are going back with like kind and quality.
Who is your insurance company?

[quote=“brokehomeowner”]Insurance has already given us all the money we’re getting for the roof.

Not going to profit from insurance…lol. Went with cheapest because we still had to come up with extra $ which we have.

ALL the roofers I talked to were ones that had did other neighbors homes in the past. The cheapest one has no listing on the BBB site (if that even matters) but did good work on a neighbor’s home which I guess is more important.[/quote]

I guess you have an ACV policy. In that case, the roofer should be treating it like a cash job. Which absolutely means you should give them at least half when they start tearing off the roof.

On completion day, you should be paying in full. Simple, no drama.

I would just ask for references from the contractor for recent work and jobs they did a few years ago to see a bit more history.

If its all about going cheap, fair enough. But be very careful.