Warranting ice dam leaks

How do you deal with past customers that have a roof leak due to ice dams.
Do you remove the ice free of charge, charge a service fee to remove ice, or a statement in your contract explaining the limitations of ice guard. In Erie,PA, even grace doesn’t always do the trick. It eventually works its way in.
Certainteed has a statement in there warranty that explains how a shingle roof system is water resistant and not waterproof. Sheds water, but ice dam leaks are not warranted even with ice guard.

Thanks,

Onarooftop

Ice dammng isn’t the only issue. I’ve traced leaks to shingles in the field that look and feel perfect, but are letting the water through themselves. I’ve even posted pix here and elsewhere. Welcome to the new improved product line. ( Some of these leaks were in the middle of 12/12’s too.)

Ice dams are a combined problem of poor ventilation / insulation, and are caused by heat loss form inside the heated space - therefore I do not see it as a warranty issue - homeowners should fix attic insulation to prevent heat loss first.

If you installed ice and water and ridge / soffit vent or did not touch ventilation at all (eg they had gable vents) than you are definitely not responsible for ice dams. Let them know how you can eliminate ice dams by installing ridge vent or laying down some insulation in the attic …

I tell them for $600 (2 hour minumal) I can make the leak go away…

A GC I know got burned really bad on an ice dam leak a couple years ago. Now his contracts clearly state, NO WARRANTY FOR ICE DAM LEAKS.

The Certainteed brochure for ice dams states ALL roofing manufactures have exclusions in the leak warranty for standing water on top of an ice dam.

The two steam jobs today had 14 inch ice dams in a few spots. 7.25 hours, two jobs.

Upstate NY is having the worst ice in 45 years. Just sent my contracts to the printers last week for new disclaimer that customers have to sign off twice on ice exclusions.

All very good points.
Adam, How do you go about this
without hurting the overall in
home sales process.
We are also looking to put something
in our contracts about ice dams.
Are you you just putting a basic sentence
on your contract or having a lawyer write
one up?

We have a disclaimer at the bottom in fine print. We just added 1 more sentence to it. We dont explain it, if they dont read it after signing off on it twice on 2 pages, thats their fault (not to sound like a jerk, but, it is what it is). Its not our fault that it snows… or melts!

everyone is right on target. In my contract states in bold ice damns are have no warranty. They have signed off on ventilation i sell so its not my issue. Have a great day. Do i send someone yes but its a low level roofing shingler. Fix is calcuim cloride and i charge 500 bucks to remove the ice and have noticed i reponse to add insuslation. i take that off the 500 but add it back with blown in with baffles 15 3/4 inches.

in Connecticut this year the ice dams and snow has been out of control. i have worked on over 130 homes for ice dam leaks in the last month. some of these homes where over 100 years old and have never had a leak due to ice dams. out of the over 130 homes only 2 home owners have had a leak from ice dams in past years. and out of the 180 roofs i have done in the last 6 years i only had 2 that called for a dime sized spot of water on there ceiling. one was a low pitch roof i told them should not be shingled and one was a house with a 2 in overhang that had a 13 in ice dam on it.

This ice and snow has had us so busy this last month i cant believe it.

have a look at a few pics of this stuff.

:stuck_out_tongue: I don’t know guys .Ice dams are not are fault at all .Gutters are for water not snow if the home owner doesn’t take the proper measures to remove the ice or allot of snow, it"s there fault Ice and water shield is for that reason,It must be applyed the right way if not water will get in the home,It’s not fail safe but it is a preventative measure, the homeowner must take some kind of action and not wait till they have 1 1/2 of ice on the roof and say hay my roof is leaking .Just last year i did a home in orchard park ny i installed 9 ft of ice and water shield from the drip line up and raped it over the facia board and reinstalled the gutter over the ice shield.well that winter i got a call that the roof was leaking ,upon my visit he had a ice dam 9 in thick and it want up 11 ft past the ice shield and it entered the home where the shield ended and the deck armor started .If the owner would have removed some snow or put heat strips on ever cal.cloried in stockings it would not have happened.

This warranty does not cover any liabilities or damages which have been caused by acts of God or nature, including but not limited to: rain, wind, fire, tornadoes, hurricanes, hail, gale force winds, lightening, earthquakes, foundation shifts, ice dams, snow, nails lifting as a result of expansion and contraction, vandalism or any other action outside of the control of the Company. If a leak is discovered/detected and you do not take or have not taken immediate action to protect the property (interior and exterior) from further damage, (i.e., remove snow and ice or gutter debris that may be blocking the free flow of water through the gutter or removing ice from the gutter or clearing snow and/or ice from the roof area and/or protecting the interior of the building) the warranty will become null and void. Not properly removing ice and snow from roofing – particularly in valleys, gutters and roof edges, before or after a leak is discovered, will nullify this warranty in its entirety

:stuck_out_tongue: LMB i like that in a nut shell.

My ice dam customers wouldn’t allow anybody with a ice pick or hammer on there roofs!

We steamed off a few who were ice picked earlier in the Winter and we saw there marks all over the areas they worked on.

For $2,500 you get get into a ready to steam unit, why not??? You can set yourself apart from the competion who beat the ice dams off the roof.

Steaming is so easy it’s amazing the average is $300 an hour.

Perhaps I am reading that wrong but it seems like that excludes you from any possible issue, making any type of warranty you offer null and void.

If I had to guess I would say that is in fine print buried in the contract somewhere.

[quote=“dougger222”]My ice dam customers wouldn’t allow anybody with a ice pick or hammer on there roofs!

We steamed off a few who were ice picked earlier in the Winter and we saw there marks all over the areas they worked on.

For $2,500 you get get into a ready to steam unit, why not??? You can set yourself apart from the competion who beat the ice dams off the roof.

Steaming is so easy it’s amazing the average is $300 an hour.[/quote]

well i called over 20 roofing companies in CT and no one had a steamer or knew where one was. all tho i did see one steam trailer or some thing driving down the highway once in the last month.

we did damage about 8 shingles and put a small mark or nick on a few more i’m aware of. not too bad considering we cleared over 200 roofs. out of the 8 shingles that where damaged 6 where on a 3 tab roof that was over 35 years old so we can’t count them, they where blowing off in the wind before we where up there. two where on another roof that i did 2 years ago and told the home owner i would be back to fix them in the spring. other then that i told every one of the home owners (as i handed them my card) if you see any marks, have any leaks or see any damaged shingles where we worked to just give me a call and i will fix them.

most of these home owners had a water falls in there living areas and probably would not have cared if i went up there with a chain saw to cut the ice dams.

I would love to buy a steamer it seems like a great way to get the ice off but we may never have a winter like this again so i will stick to doing it my way for now.