Warranty repair - Shingle Manufacturer requires fully itemized quotes to replace roof

Hi all,

I started a thread a while back about our roof needing replaced, since the shingles were in bad shape.

Long story short, the manufacturer concluded that they were faulty and needed replaced, and offered us a dollar amount that they would provide us, (including labor, tear-off & disposal) in addition to replacement shingles and the appropriate amount of hip & ridge and starter shingles needed to complete our roof.

The problem is, and understandably, the dollar amount they said they’d provide is way lower than any estimate of what it would cost to fix the roof. Obviously they’re going to lowball us to see if we bite.

Thing is, in order to increase their cash offer to something actually reasonable, they require that we obtain 3 roofers line itemized fully broken down estimates. To quote them:

“These estimates will need to clearly show line itemized fully broken down separate costs and quantiles for all materials (shingle, underlayments, vents, flashing, nails etc.) all install costs, labor costs, tear off for each product and all other costs (disposal install, taxes, fees, permits etc.)”

We’ve contacted multiple, established and well respected roofers in our metro area and none have said they’ll provide this information. One reluctantly gave us a breakdown in terms of labor/dumpster/materials/accessories, but that isn’t enough for the shingle manufacturer.

Clearly the shingle manufacturer wants to make this as hard as humanly possible for us to get them to pay for our roof replacement. We don’t want to pay for it, and frankly and shouldn’t have to. It was their fault the shingles were faulty, and thus they should cover the cost of the replacement.

Is it unreasonable for us to ask for a fully itemized quote from a roofer? The fact that so many roofers in our area they won’t do it makes me wonder if a) they just can’t be bothered and think it isn’t worth their time, or b) we’ll see that their costs are massively inflated somehow and call them out on it.

Thoughts?

Sorry for the long rant!

i dont think its appropriate to ask to breakdown costs.
it took long time and efforts to build reputation on the market and you want dig in their profits.
nobody ask dentist why it cost 1500 to root canal when it takes 1hr and single person(10 years of school and years of practice to get to that level)

maybe call another 10 companies whos willing to take your offer,if nobody then add your own funds to replace roof .

1 Like

I get it, but we’re not asking to dig into anyone’s profits. We’re just asking that the shingle manufacturer pay whatever the going rate is for labor etc. Why should we as owners pay for it when it’s not our fault? Isn’t that the whole point of a warranty?

EDIT: Frankly I don’t care what it costs - I just want the shingle manufacturer to honor their warranty, and pay us the right amount for what it should cost to replace the roof. I don’t care how much profit roofers make. Everyone needs to make a living. It’s not like I’m going to start broadcasting around the neighborhood that roofer X makes more profit than roofer Y.

Describe how you’d envision the warranty settling and then it will be easier to understand whether their request is unreasonable. If it’s just materials, they can assess that from an Eagleview report. I suspect you are leaning toward a full replacement funded by the manufacturer?

Labor, tear off and disposal? You are very fortunate they are covering the tear off and disposal. Most manufactures tell you, thats on you. They’ll also not pay for plumbing vents, flashings. I’m not sure how old the roof is, but with most manufactures, you are way ahead, so if you have to pull some money out of your pocket, it will be worth it.

IKO, doesn’t pay for tear off and disposal. I have a 3yr old, shingle failure that the manufacture will pay to replace, but the homeowner doesn’t want to pay the $3k of removal and disposal. $3k is alot cheaper than $18k to pay for it yourself.

Side note: Asus, I don’t understand you, some of the time, but I agree with your direction. I’m not interested in showing others, how I bid. I’ve spent 30yrs learning my trade. I have a proprietary bidding software system, developed in early 2000, and slowly conditioned just for my company. We are more than pleased with what we have developed. I’m with you on those details.

1 Like

The warranty states that it will cover 100% of materials,100% of labor, and additional costs (flashing, metal work, tear-off and disposal), without prorating the costs.

Thus, we envision the warranty settling with the shingle manufacturer providing the materials (which they’ve agreed to do) and a fair amount of money that will cover us paying a roofer for removal and installation. Surely this is covered under the warranty as described above? Why should they get away with making us pay for their poor quality product?

EDIT: If we were lucky enough to get roofers to provide itemized bids, then we would only be sharing them with the shingle manufacturer so they can make a reasonable determination of how much it should cost them, and certainly not between the roofers themselves. We’d likely just end up going with the bid from the company who were most customer friendly.

What’s the issue with providing an itemized bid in this scenario?

This is little different than an insurance claim and how I suggest our customers approach the interaction with adjusters. With insurance, it’s far more fruitful to deal through a broker than it is directly with an adjuster when “speed bumps” are encountered. Same is said with shingle manufacturers. Rather than you asking for bids, ask the product supplier to help you with this process under the assurance you will only work with a contractor recommended by them and who will order through them. The relationship between a manufacturer and supplier is far more enduring and therefore important than it is with a specific consumer. Contractors also tend to appreciate leads through their supplier as they see it as a badge of confidence. As I can surmise, this is a customer service issue for you and a processing issue for the manufacturer. Deal with someone who understands both relationships intimately and you’ll be surprised what can be accomplished with far less anxiety.

1 Like

So to summarize, the customers shiny manufacturers warranty is only valid if their installer has some pull with his supplier and by extension the manufacturer. This is exactly how we sell around 70 percent of the jobs we bid yearly. By letting our potential clients know that the warranty is basically smoke and mirrors and they need to be more concerned with the reputation of the company they are using, rather than the “golden pledge” warranty.

1 Like

Warranties are nothing more than a document detailing what a party “might” be willing to honor. This alone explains the pages of miniscule conditions meant to obscure responsibility. The challenge is converting “might” into “will”. So yes, a contractor who has a strong relationship with the manufacturer’s supplier has a tremendous amount of influence over warranty claims. Warranty claims can be just as political as they are purposeful. Sad but true.

1 Like

Offer to pay the roofers for the estimate and explain why you need what you need. A couple hundred dollars each should get what you need.

1 Like