Water/Ice on fascia leaking into sofit and house

Hello,

Background

I just bought a house in CT this January, and with my luck just had a record snow fall for that month. The snowfalls were as follows, 15", 24" , ICE, 13" Ice and some other misc storms. My house has a hip roof with many peaks/ valleys. there are a lot of ridges where snow accumulates. It is 10 years old, and from what my neighbors say they never heard the previous owners talk about leaks in the house before.

Problem

In short my house was leaking in my foyer, guest bedroom, bathroom and my other bedroom. From what I notice there is ice on the Fascia and icicles on the soffit vents. I believe from the soffit it is going into my walls and into my house. I looked in my attic (which has r40-r50 insulation) there were no water on the wood when the leaks happened. I pushed out the soffit vent and the leak stopped. Later when we got another foot of snow, I did see the wood on the roof in the attic leak. It does not do that anymore after I cleared the snow and ice off.

Pictures

the front section of a peak

A closeup photo showing that the drip edge doesn’t connect to the gutter.

another closeup- I was able to lift the edge a little. I hope the tar paper stuck to the shingles

water leaking from the gutter and the fascia board

Another section of roof with the drip edge not connected for the gutter. The fascia board is exposed and shows some rotting.

Same section, but the fasica is rotting, and is looks like the drip edge is away from the fascia- maybe enough so that ice dams can push up and maybe go into the soffit.

One peck where the edge cap is being lifted off - this is where my leaky foyer is.

another shot of it farther back connected to the main roof. That really concerns me.

This is a corner with badly rotted fascia. The corners on the gutters are leaking.

What I think the solution might be

For the last 4 days I have been leak free since I cleared my roof from most the snow. I believe my problem is the drip edge does not go into the gutter. I don’t think that is everything. Do I need runners? My gutters leak on the corners, how do I re seal them? Is my fascia too far rotted or can I repaint it. Please let me know what you would do in my situation.

Thank you for reading and hopefully I find a solution for this.

this isn’t rocket science. you have an ice dam like thousands of other people this week. on other threads you will find all the information that has been repeatedly said. in short, Ice&Water shield membrane installed properly . even houses with good ventilation and insulation will still have ice dams in freak weather conditions.

Pic #1 appears that no drip edge is used on the rakes and the rakes appear to have inadequate overhang.

Pic#2 Confirms that no drip edge was used on the rakeline.And the gutters seem to be a little low or a thicker drip edge could have been used.

Pic#3 Confirms again that no drip edge was used on the rakeline.It also confirms inadequate overhang of the shingles past the rakeline.It also appears that the far right of the gutter siding is missing?

Pic#4 Would clearly show that the issue with the gutters being to low and the need for a thicker drip edge could be the cause.Or simply overloaded with snow and melt off.

Pic#5 Appears to be no drip edge with an inadequate overhang.That allows the ice/snow/water to get behind the gutters.

Pic#6 Shows the gutters to low and a thicker drip edge is needed.

Pic#9 shows the result of your joint seam coming apart from your gutters and an area showing water damage.

The rakes have no drip edge which isn’t the problem.The problem is not enough overhang.It seems the gutterlines either have no drip edge or have inadequate overhang and the gutters are low.

The right fix would be to install proper drip edge.Or add proper overhang.Install new gutters,replace the rotted or saturated areas of fascia and have some fascia wrap installed.This is my opinion.

Time to replace gutters or T-flashing for L-flashing,bend 3-4inches exp.long.This way can solve problem for sure .

Along with that if the insulation is around 15 inches and its like that 1 i see zero ice and water. 2 its a poor quality job. 3 ventilation could be the fault. Normally its either ventilation or insulation. now a pipe boot that can happen but thats in my years. Right now i have in my condo 10 foot icicles and no leaks i will insulate it to r-49 this spring and cure the problem but thats just an example.

A lot of your ice dam leak problem is from poorly installed roofing and ice and water shield(if you have any). Take a look at the info here roofingcontractorreview.com/ … ndows.html .

The section of roof in that first picture is also a challenge to ventilate and insulate. You need a professional roofer to look at that.

It’s actually fairly simple your problem, from the first look of it, you really don’t have enough intake ventilation in your soffits, ice damming will occur when the attic temperature get warmer then the outside melting the snow and when it reach a non heated area it freezes, what I need from you is your attic square footage, amount of exhaust vent on the roof, type of insulation and density if you can, let me know if you got any pot light bathroom or kitchen exhaust.