Ways forward with a failed Roof

I’m not in the trade, I just found out, now that my roof is failing, that my roofer from 17 years ago did a roof that is probably not warrantable from the beginning. My questions regarding suing the original roofer (after 17 years), or possibly filing a complaint with the state.

For reasons that lead to a me calling in a roofing inspector I recently recently received the following report from the company engineer.

Sit back with a a beer, and recoil in horror…a note: the roofing company is listed as top in the area …The roof is Certainteed Shingles 30 year Warranty–on paper . The job is so bad, the company maybe could take a hand in this. The engineer says the roof has 0 years, 0 months Life expectency. =
…Ready? Go!
Report Begin:
“Upon inspecting the roof system on your home, we found numerous issues with the installation. Some of these items are shown in the photo documentation; the photos only show examples not all the problems. They include improper flashing details, improper flashings, improper nailing, exposed nails, improper shingle installation, improper installation of pipe collars and the addition on the rear of home is supported by 1x6s.
The problems with this installation can void the manufacturer’s warranty. The warranty states that the shingles must be installed in strict adherence to the installation instructions. This roof system is not installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions or to code. The shingles on the roof have been installed in a manner which - Damages the integrity of the roofing system (creates conditions in which the quality and performance of the shingle will be degraded over time due to improper installation, degradation includes the shingle falling off on its own, blown off by wind, and damage from other shingles and improperly driven nails. - Creates multiple leak points and increases the threat of damage to the home from water, ice dams, wind, and other threats Our recommendation is a complete removal and replacement of the roof system. By an approved contractor to manufacturer specifications/recommendations and building code.
We also recommend a structural engineer look at any structural issues you have on this home.”

So yes, I am considering the possibility of a law suit once the I get the structural engineer in. is there statute of limitations for poor / incompetent contracting?

I have to put on a new roof (obviously with a new company) but what are the options about sending the inspection to Certainteeded to find out if the Shingles are indeed still warrantied? And if the cause is the installation rather than just 17 years of year? I read of a law case about how Certainteed made a roofing company pay for a roof replacement because it was improperly installed. (A girl can dream)

Any comments? Suggestions? I’m not vengeful, but I don’t think I should be out thousands because a company had a ‘bad day’. PS for this next roof, I’m not paying that last bill until the roof inspector ans structural engineer clear all the work. I’ve learned my lesson.

Comments, suggestions, advice, appreciated.

I am sorry you have been led to believe that roofs last longer.

17 years?
How many years left?
0-5
This is normal.
Shingle roofs get replaced every 20 years.
Regardless of how long the package says.
There is no such thing as lifetime or 30 years.
You are lucky to get 20.
Most shingle roofs get replaced before 20 years.

1 Like

That is useful to know. Thank you. By the way, I apologigze for barging in to the pros section. I won’t post here again. Your admin can remove me.

Who said you were barging in?
Sorry if my words were offensive.
But i dont see it.

Because i ruined your fantasy of 30 years or whatever?

Because i shattered your dreams of suing the roofer…

Oops, guess it is getting offensive now…

Truth is, If you are trying to sell the house,
Re-Mortgage the house,
Or get home owners insurance for the house
The answer from Every inspector is Going to
be NO, you have No life left and you need to replace the roof.

But, if you are not trying to do any of those things, than you MIGHT have a few more years left… give or take.

HO’s asking questions are welcome, and I agree with roof_lover. Trying to sue 17 yrs after the fact will most likely be a waste of your and a lawyers time.

Roof warranties are usually based on depreciation, after 17 years you’ll have very little left due to depreciation and material costs doubling. The lesson here is that advertising, BBB, Angies List, and the rest of that fluff don’t mean quality.

17 years is a little shitty but not unreasonable. Call a local reputable contractor for an actual assessment.

1 Like

Thank you gentlemen. I was so upset, I spout off. I hope your forgive me. Its a lot to take in. This has been going on since Veteran’s Day when the ceiling started cracking (sadly among other things.) I’m engaging with local roofers, and just trying to take it one day at a time.

You have given me words of professional wisdom. I take them seriously. Thank you.

1 Like

Ask a friend you trust nearby,
Co-worker, church member for their recommendation of a roofer.

Call him and tell him you have a leak.
He may be able to hold you off a little until you have to replace it.
He may have the same opinion that it needs to be replaced, but he may be able to buy you some time.
You just now know you need to start preparing…

Agreed, don’t waste your time with a lawsuit. Getting 17 years out of a 30 yr shingle is pretty standard these days. Even with a top quality install (most roofers don’t do top quality work) most roofs won’t last as long as the manufacturer claims. For what is worth, the same shingles they sold to you as “30yr” they are now selling to new customers as “lifetime”…

1 Like

The roofer may have done a mediocre job installing your roof but you won’t get anywhere trying to sue after 17 years. The judge might sanction you for wasting the courts time even if you could find an attorney stupid enough to represent you.

When you worked with this installer 17 years ago, did you sign any papers agreeing to what and what? Probably didn’t. So you have zero grounds to sue on.

That said, getting 10-15 years out of a roof is pretty good, especially if you didn’t pay a lot for labor.