Weathering copper

Does anyone have any tips on how to get a sheet of shinny new copper to go brown (not green)? This sheet will be indoors so it won’t be exposed to the weather. Its already in place to taking it down and leaving it outside in the weather is not an option.

sculptnouveau.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=34

google brown patina

Thanks Tar. I did a search and found a few products however I was skeptical of how well they would work.

On the copper subject, have you guys ever had to flash a natural stone chimny that has a profile so rough (the stones putruding out upwards of 3 inches) that it makes it impossible? I am thinking, I got to level out the stone work that will be covered with the copper anyway to get nice angles. Or pounding and forming individual step flashing to match the contures of the stone and then more of a garnash for a counter flashing. I want it to be fantastic because it will be the first of its kind in my area. Any advice would be great

I’ve never had to flash a rough stone chimney like you are describing. Dreading the day I have to though lol. There are only 2 ways I can think of to do it properly; to smooth the stones down like you mentioned to an even surface or to flash it with lead dressed to the shape of the stones. I would definitely prefer to do option #1 though

On the stone chimney:

First, make sure you have a 9 1/2" grinder.

Then take some time and look at where you are going to cut your lines. If it helps, use a lumber crayon to map out your cuts. I would stay away from grinding down the stones unless absolutely necessary as they are very time consuming to cut through. Some of your counterflashings are going to be proud of the chimney and there is nothing you can do about it.

I’m a big advocate of putting mortar back in your cuts after the flashing is in, particularly in stone chimneys because all that caulk is going to look like hell. Use a spray bottle to wet your raglets before putting the mortar in and then brush them with a slurry mix. After the mortar has time to cure come back and brush liquid silicone over it.

IMO Lead coated copper looks much better on natural stone than red copper and I will push for it when possible.

Keep in mind you have a 3rd dimension when measuring for your counter flashings on natural stone and you’ll want to use a ruler or something as a depth gauge.