What do you guys do when

I always state in my contract under section 9:

install new 30yr dimensional asphalt shingled roofing in and standard color of choice.

Only to have the customer come back and want GAF Timberline Barkwood or something where you cant cut a 3-tab for cap. I know other brands make 3-tabs that are close in color, but I hate doing that. On small homes where I may need 2-3 boxes of Timbertex, I dont mind, but I just sold an 80 sq job with probably 300lf of cap and now the homeowner doesnt know what to do. He understands that the contract read “any standard color of shingle” but just doesnt want to pay for the correct color cap, as barkwood does not come in a 3-tab. You have to realize, my city is in a financial mess and homeowners are watching thier money.

Since I always include the correct caps in the qoute, I’ve never run into the situation you describe.
Just use the correct cap.

Instead of Timbertex, get seal-a-ridge.

Or better yet, why is the ridge cap an extra out of pocket item? You don’t include that on the quote?

Or, do you only include the shingle then up charge for IW, felt, starter, vents, nails, etc…, after the contract is signed?

on a 80sq job, if you arent making enough money to use regular cap, then thats your problem.

my exp says eat a little now or eat a bunch later,you will feel good about doing the right thing, make and keep your customers happy :smiley:

I would say to make a habit of specifically calling out what hip / ridge cap you are using (field cut 3-tab, Timbertex, Seal-A-Ridge,ect). Who knows? You may get the job because you are more specific and deemed more trustworthy.

Better to divulge up front than explain later, especially with money on the line when you are needing to be paid.

ONLY 300 LF of cap on an 80sq job?
WOW. Are you sure?
What a sweet job!!

I would rather install a shingle that has multiple ridge options.The first that comes to mind would be Certainteed.

For laminate shingles (not Super Shangle or Presidential shake) they offer 4 styles of ridge.

1. Accessory, most commonly used
  2. Contour Ridge a little thicker (not sure if it’s still being made though as #3 may take it’s place).
  3. Not sure the name but it’s hitting the shingle yards very soon. Very similar to Timbertex but more than likely won’t crack.
  4. Mountain Ridge, nicest looking ridge you can buy (IMO)

I agree with the others. If you can’t afford to put on Timbertex with Timberline shingles you bid way to low… Next time give them a seperate price for Timbertex and make a note on line 194 of your estimate stating, “Some shingle colors my require Timbertex ridge”.

[quote=“PTROOFING”]I always state in my contract under section 9:

install new 30yr dimensional asphalt shingled roofing in and standard color of choice.

Only to have the customer come back and want GAF Timberline Barkwood or something where you cant cut a 3-tab for cap. …] [/quote]

Some of the other responses here have been a bit on the rude side, but I would have to agree that you should probably just eat the extra cost for the special ridge.

It will likely take $400-$450 of your profit off the table, but it is the best option. I don’t know what your normal margins are, but nobody wants to leave behind that much money.

For the future, if you can reprint your contract, I would add some definition for “standard color”. The phrase by itself doesn’t mean anything to most homeowners. If you can’t change it, then go through your already-printed contracts, and hit that phrase on every one with a yellow highlighter (pink, if you’re a sensitive kind of guy), so that it jumps out to both of you during the signing.

Timbertex and Seal a ridge are about the same linear ft price in my area. Timbertex (20ft) is around 43, and Seal A Ridge (25ft) is around 47.

I always sell my jobs with specialty hip/ridge, so this is never a problem with me.

If its not a hip roof no one will really see the ridge. I guess I would try to switch brands for the whole job or just switch the cap to a 3-tab. OC Supreme-Teak, IKO Heatherwood, etc. are similar colors available in a 3-tab. I would be honest with the homeowner and let him/her know your intentions though.

GAF Sovereigns vs. Timberline are very different in color. The weathered wood/weathered gray is way different, hickory vs. autumn brown is way different! Charcoal is about the only one that will match decently.

IKO is one of the few that I know of that matches all 3-tab colors to their dimensionals. Their shingles suck, but …

Thanks all. I was upfront with the customer today that the color he picked is a standard, stocked color, but the hip and ridge cap only are available in GAF’s Timbertex line, which is an additional cost. I showed him many other similar colors and he is dead set on Barkwood. ABC Supply even sells the OC Teak 3-tabs for cap for Barkwood, but its not what he wants. He is going to pay the extra, wooooooo…t/g

I will take your advice and add to my contract. Im not some newbie company. Been around for 11 years and all work is referrals, which sometimes makes it tough.