What material is this on roof?

We got 2 dormer roofs approved by state farm, but in their estimate they quoted Elastomeric roof coating 65 square ft. That’s not what’s on the roof right now though.

Can you look at the pictures and see what kind of material it is?

It’s on a steep 2 story roof. Would you charge for scaffolding? If so, about how much?

Thank you!

Is it a rigid overlay set on an underlying membrane? Almost looks like a fiberglass panel, lexan or coroplast bonded to something underneath?

With reference to the scaffolding, most definitely should account for that. Sider’s pump jacks with safety rails might be the best as they tend to be easier to negotiate around awkward terrain when setting up.

Never seen that stuff before …

It looks similar to a type of self adhering asphalt ply I have seen once which was brought into the US from Columbia. Not quite the same but if you are in SW US you may have had someone use a material from over the border.

I would convince them to cover with a self adhered SBS by certainteed or similar.

That looks like torch applied modified installed upside down.

If I had to guess a brand it would be GAF Ruberoid.

2 Likes

Do Not tear that off.
Do Not replace it!!!
It is not leaking.
It is the best modified bitumen flat roofing ever made.
This material was made many years ago.
Many many years before these shingles were made.
It is indestructible.

Your leak is at the front of the dormer or the sides of it.
Usually coming in at the front corner.
Somewhere where the shingles meet the wall/flashing. Or the window .

Did you see the pictures where it has cracks?

Yes it’s leaking at the corners and on the sides. The siding is going to have to come off in order to install flashings, although state farm did not pay for that because the flashings are nor currently there to get approved for replacement

1 Like

Doesn’t that refer back to code? How old are the shingles?

the shingles are about 15 years old, but were not approved for replacement because they don’t have enough hail hits, and even though there is some shingles sliding off they are calling it bad installation and not approving those areas either, since they are not folded back proving that the damage was caused by wind.

Do you know what part of code would cover for this type of flashing?

IBC 2012 section 1503.2 Check what the local codebook is they’re specifying.

1 Like

I’m confused by the “don’t tear it off comment”. Aren’t we all seeing a giant split that has to be fixed by sealant?

Yes it absolutely has to be replaced, I’d do it with galvanized metal if it was up to me.

I agree. Not sure why some posters are strongly asserting to save this small area with giant splits in it? Even if it’s the greatest material ever made it is compromised and past it’s useful life.

You dont know what your looking at because you have never experienced it before.
New construction roofers dont get to experience too much.

It is the aluminum foil top peeling off
It can crack all it wants.
Its so thick and durable i am positive its not leaking.

But if you are replacing all the roofing surrounding the dormer, it would be appropriate to install new modified bitumen.

Note that this work, leaking is All do to with workmanship and lack of proper materials/flashing work.

The leaking has nothing to do with the flat roofing material.
And has nothing to do with a storm of any kind and should never involved an insurance company.

“But cant you see the cracks”
Hahahahahajahah

You are showing your ignorance again roof lover. 75% of our volume is reroof so I am certainly not just a “new construction roofer”. We specialize in the jobs that scare most other companies, namely old Victorians with 4 layer tear off resheath on 12-12. We are known as the most qualified company in our area for difficult reroofs. You would be correct if you said I didn’t know anything about flat roofs though. I spent all my time on steep work that no one else wanted and would probably scare you.

2 Likes

Looks like torchdown to me. I would be very surprised if it was damaged by a storm and the shingles were not.

They put in for elastomeric because they didn’t know what it was. Call them and tell them it needs to be replaced. 9 times out of 10 they will take your request as a roofing professional. Then I would just tear it off re roof with nail base and sa sps and then tie it back in with the same type shingles. And send them in a supplement to pay the difference.

It really looks like the High-temp Ice and water shield we use from time to time.