What Nail fasten Pattern is it? 4 nails per sheet or 6 nails per sheet?

Inside Attic, Are there big problems with the nail fasten pattern on the deck board?

1. No nails show on the large area; 2 a lot of nails were crooked.
    the contractor said: From the attic, you would not see a constant nail pattern.
    Another guy said: my roof shingle was nailed with 6 nails, But I can’t figure it out. Are they right?

You either have a lot of time on your hands or have experienced other issues with your roofer, leading to this deep investigation. What got you in the attic?

3 Likes

Perhaps there is a valley or an area where one roof plane goes over another. That would account for there being large areas with no nails. No idea if you have a 6 or 4 nail pattern. You are definitely taking rings too far if you are posting a pic of a crooked nail.

1 Like

I’d wager this person is some sort of engineer, a real one.

Should be a horizontal row of nails extending up the slope every 6 inches, if laminated shingles are being used. Each shingle width is approximately 39-40 inches.This then means you should “in theory” be able to mark out approximately 4 shingle widths and complete an overall nail count for that test area. Give reasonable allowance for nails driven into the rafters as they are hidden. Angled nails aren’t too concerning, here and there, but do suggest “speed as a priority” vs proper nail placement. Too many is a red flag.

Once the shingles are laid, the installer can say anything, and in many cases will say anything because everything is hidden and who will challenge them? Why not suggest the roofer remove a few shingles from the areas of “researched” concern and offer payment to do so in the “very likely” event your guilty assumptions were misplaced. Blame it on your wife/husband/whoever wanting certainty.

If you are at this stage where you are verifying nail usage and placement, you have already questioned the integrity of the contractor. Since there is no love lost anyhow, push forward and take the extra logical step to verify quality installation with either the installer or supplier. If you are correct, well … now what? If you are wrong, offer compensation for your incorrect assumption, apologize profusely and mend fences. The contractor will appreciate it more than you realize.

Thank you! My new roof had been installed for one year(Dec 2019). I once posted some pictures on this community and got some hints from kind-hearted experts. Then, I took a lot of roof pictures. More and more problems were discovered. A lot of gaps unsealed are shown on the rooftop. The ridge singles are normal? The photos were taken on Jan 7, 2021. What kind of professionals can inspect these roof problems!
P1010811|690x387

Thank you! You gave me very important clues last year, then I found a lot of problems. I am an engineer but not in roofing field.

You should be clear on what exactly you are hoping to accomplish? You should also recognize you should not inspect a roof with the same scrutiny you would a finely tuned medical instrument. Most qualified roofers/contractors can easily pick apart anyone’s work because we know what to look for and we tend to be biased. Variances from the way “we do things” does not necessarily imply it was done incorrectly. If you are concerned about warranty, include the parties who will be backing that warranty and get something in writing. The material supplier should be invited to attend site accompanied by the manufacturer’s rep. This is an excellent place to start as it naturally encourages the installation contractor to attend. First task is to confirm installation met manufacturer warranty standards and then an investigation into potential product failures. I bring my purchase orders, work orders and a full images set with me as backup. I have experienced this process on product warranty claims several times and it worked out amicably for all parties. By being proactive with problem resolution, it yields goodwill, respect and sometimes referrals. Stuff happens … that’s construction! On the other hand, if the contractor you hired happens to be of “questionable standing” amongst the peer group, well … you get what you get and don’t be upset at anyone but your own short sightedness.

1 Like

Thank you! If I didn’t check carefully, I couldn’t find that the roof shingle did not overhang to cover the drip edge. The roofer just inserts a sheet as repairing. …a lot of things… My deep research started with these two discoveries.

Yep, looks like some negligence. Look up the local roofing supply company. Ask them if they can refer a roofer for an inspection. This roofer installed it poorly so calling them back is going to be a waste of time. Did I say negligence? After looking at the photo’s, I’m going with gross negligence. We can debate the starter up the ridge, but I install it everytime, to meet the requirements for the Lifetime limited warranty, along with most townships and villages will not pass the inspection without it. The reason I install rake starter, it looks good. Prevents that crazy cut look and it prevents blow offs along the rake. In my windstorm areas, we seal the starter to the drip. You realize you have a crap install, but if you plan on living here for the next 20yrs, fix the areas of concern. If the nailing is bothering you, pull a shingle off and see what they did. By now it should be sealed down. If you can prevent the leaks, I’d live with it till you have some problems. Lets face it, he ain’t coming back to replace it.

1 Like

That skylight detail looks scary.

nah,it looks like soldered fixed skylight aka regular vent.

What’s with the shingles jacked up on the sides?

some sort of rubber gasket all around

1 Like

Ive never encountered that skylight design before.
Not saying its wrong, i just havent seen it.

It is jacked up and scary. Gasket is supposed to be underneath the shingles not on top.

The pic titled “After repairing” is unacceptable. You need the whole roof inspected if they thought that was good enough.

1 Like