What roofing gun is the best? all guns in hear this time

what do you like?

I like the Estwing nail “gun” the best! :mrgreen: Seriously, I typically specify shingle roofs to be hand nailed, because nail guns too often overdrive or underdrive the nails depending on the ever-changing pressure in the compressor.

depend on your compressor and air regulater if that is the case. When I went to work for a few days for that roofing company to wet my whistle they had a little pancake compressor that sat on the peak, it ran way too much and made more noise than a punk rock band.

In my shop I run an 80 gallon 5hp two stage with air regulators, some are 20 plus years old and do vary but they should be set to 90 or whatever and stay there. My compressor is set for 150 on the low and 200 cut off on the high, yeah I know that is too high.

It shouldl be the same with you guys on site, if it is a decent regulator they are supposed to hold the pressure to exactly what you set it at, at least they do in our cabinet and automotive shops.

Are blow throughs the worst thing nail guns do, I realize on a solid roof sometimes you will be between boards and sometimes you will be into a joist so more resistance than just the wood roof, saw posts in the past they shoot crooked sometimes as well and also that as things warm in the day you have to turn the air down or maybe with those adjustable guns back off a bit.

Warren

I like Rigid, but I have to vote for Haitachi…because it is the best.

now your telling me i left out hand nailing.i cant win.

you didnt leave out hand nailing. I work locally, in the same city i’ve lived in my whole life, and the same roofs I put on 13 years ago are still there and i see them every day. Lazy roofers will ignore a blow through. I storm nail every roof anyhow and relocate a blow through just as you would have to do with hand nailing and hitting a crack between boards. Those pancake compressors are no good for roofing. My nails end up being underdriven from the typical compressor so I pull out my hammer and bang some down. No big deal. All laziness is the problem. It wouldnt be practical to lug a shop compressor around unless you have a fleet of cube vans going to every job. Overkill.

Compressor is too big but if I become a carpenter one day instead of a cabinemaker I am going to have a truck with some of my machines, some of this carpentry stuff is just too mickey mouse. Been accused of overkill lots.

What does storm nail mean? is that six nails instead of four.

And relocate a blow through? you put caulking on it if you go through or what does that mean, you move to another town??

Sorry for all the questions think I might be at my quota for today so will be quiet now. (at least till tomorrow)

Thanks,

Sawdust

[quote=“Warren”]Compressor is too big but if I become a carpenter one day instead of a cabinemaker I am going to have a truck with some of my machines, some of this carpentry stuff is just too mickey mouse. Been accused of overkill lots.

What does storm nail mean? is that six nails instead of four.

And relocate a blow through? you put caulking on it if you go through or what does that mean, you move to another town??

Sorry for all the questions think I might be at my quota for today so will be quiet now. (at least till tomorrow)

Thanks,

Sawdust[/quote]

As I stated before, I’ve been in the same small city my whole life. I simply relocate nail positioning to catch some wood. Yes, storm nailing is six nails. I go a step further and use 8. THATS why my compressor cant hang!

vote!

I storm nail when the Landmarks are curly and regular nail when there flat. In 200+ roofs I’ve personally roofed (every shingle installed with my HITACHI) I’ve had one shingle blow off. 3 story back on the back drop to a 200ft drop down to the Mississippi River out side of Hudson, WI. I told the homeower/contractor I didn’t like to do roof over but he insisted. As far as single layer roofs go never had a blow off with Landmarks.

Now New Horizon’s that’s another story. Went to the same house five times to replace shingles with 8 hand nails in them.

Actually seen better luck stapeling than nailing when it comes to popped fasteners and blow offs.