What should a Salesman get paid?

Hi!
I’m a rookie in need for help in the hiring of a salesman.For the past year I have been doing my own sales for my company,but I wanna be able to hire a salesman,(Florida). I have heard too many stories on the type of pay. What would be a great pay for someone that has experience in the field? Should it be straight commision at a rate of 10% of the selling job and you supply transportation, or you give them a salary and commision because they wanna use their vehicle, and what would anyone recommend for pay?I would appreciate any input in this matter.

Thanks,

Well, there are many ways to pay a salesman. His closing ratio is what he is worth tho. Not at a low price either. Where i work i use my vehicle but have a base + commission. How it works is i have a flat salary that rides off my commission. With that i have a deal worked out if im over what he wants for a job we split the difference. Plus i have a gas card that i use. Also i have health insurance with 401k. A phone also. That is important. WHen hiring make sure you contact his or her old employer to confirm the closing ratio and at what price average they were at. Hiring a guy that closes 40% of his jobs at 170 a square will not do you any favors. Hiring a guy at 35% with a 240 per square closing ratio will get you more money with less liability.

Thanks for the input,but I’m still kind of clueless so I e-mailed you.