Whats better on a wood structure/ roofing

Do you think metal roofing is better than shingles, or would you go with some type of slate or tile? what is the best roof out there for superior performance :mrgreen:

Hi,

Most roofing materials perform well.

They all serve a purpose and a clientel.

If you do not match the right material with the right customer niether product or customer is done justise.

If you knew anything about roofing you wouldn’t be asking questions like this.How long have you been roofing?

i think slates the best, but its going to cost you. put down a real good underlayment & slate should last 100 yrs. the proof is on your roof.

Well dave, I have been roofing for 25 years and can install any roof i want whether it be a tile roof or cheap shingles, flat roofs, but to realy answer your question, I’m looking for some good roofers and if you can’t answer simple questions without attacking someones credibility, I’m sure that u are not the type of roofer I would be interested in.Can you answer the question?

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

Most roofing materials perform well.

They all serve a purpose and a clientel.

If you do not match the right material with the right customer niether product or customer is done justise.[/quote]

lefty, thamk you that was the answer I was looking for

In your first post you did not mention anything about looking for roofers.Your post was vague and kind of made you sound like you did not know what you were doing.If your looking for some good help say so.

Funny, I was asked in an interview from a builder"If your building is 24’ wide, and the pitch is 6/12,what is the total rise?"
I was the only 1 to immediately respond that it is a question that has to be answered with a question…
You need to determine the width of the rafter, and the depth of the birds mouth(notch that sits on wall)to answer…I was hired,and charged 1.00 per sq. ft. more than his current framer, :stuck_out_tongue:
As far as roofing,Slate on strips(so it can breath) should be the longest lasting system…As far as I know. The home must be able to carry the load though…I have seen slate over 125 yrs old that still performed well…Lefty probably has too in Easton,Allentown,and Bethlehem,P.A.
A system is only as good as the installer!