What's the real deal on asphalt longevity, durability?

30 yr FIBERGLASS demensional will be just fine.

gweedo.

Just wanted to say thanks for those who responded to my initial question. Cerberus especially, thank you for your lengthy reply.

FYI, I’ve decided on the Malarkey Legacy because I like the way it’s made. I’m going to use Deck Armor underlayment, and pay lots of attention to proper venting. I have yet to decide on a roofer though!! Had some good roofers come by (I think!) and some not-so-good roofers who seemingly know less than I do. It’s hard to know who to choose - factoring in longevity of company, apparent level of knowledge, warranties, etc. Additionally, there’s an orgnization up here in BC called the Roofing Contractors Association of BC. I initially figured I would consider only the roofers that belonged to this organization, but I’m really not sure if it means anything. And there certainly aren’t any sites where local Vancouver-area roofers are subjectively rated, so you really have to do your due diligence - which of course is far from an exact science.

Anywho, thanks again everyone.

RCABC is just a roofers club…dont mean a thing in pitched roofs,they usally just sub out,keep the flat for themselfs…

I noticed that of the four roofers they recommended me, all four websites emphasized IKO over everything else. I found that odd.

I suspect that the anti-asphalt website being promoted in this thread has been posted either by a roofing company in the Seattle area that is promoting rubber or metal shingles for which it has exclusive rights, or the Canadian company that supplies them. They also have a reputation for being quite obnoxious. For Example: I recently bid a job for a young Iraqi war vet with a starter home in a small town north of Seattle. Pretty young wife and small child. This guy did not need a 30K synthetic roof on his 20 square house. He needed a 30 year laminate with an algae resistant component for about $5500. Long story short, the State Roofing huckster refused to leave until the guy broke out his .45. I didn’t have that problem. I didn’t get the job either (yet), but I didn’t get a gun pulled on me, and I was honest. I have seen 20 year 3-tab go for longer than that on a roof installed by my company. I think you should have a reasonable expectation that an asphalt shingle will do what it says if properly installed. I do think fading will become an issue, although I’d bet that granule manufacturers are making improvements in that regard all the time. Based on my experience, I generally recommend higher warrantied products based on aesthetics, IKO Armourshake for example. At some point you are paying for the look, not the warranty. As far as CertainTeed’s 5 star warranty…I would never discount peace of mind, but they are banking on you selling your house, and the subsequent owner selling the house within 14 years, at which point the warranty goes away. It is my opinion that those warranties were a way for CertainTeed (and the other manufacturers) to entice contractors to use their products exclusively. Initially, as a contractor, you could distinguish yourself as an approved applicator. Now everybody is an approved contractor, and there is no advantage, just some leftover bias towards manufactures who made contractors feel like they were something special for a while. This especially true with GAF/ELK, who automatically grandfathered in Home Depot Contractors, when Home Depot switched from OC to GAF. No real certification, just sell our product and you’re good to go. This is one of the reasons that I am a fan of IKO. My opnion of the product is not based on some certificate that IKO sent me, not based on a pretty IKO “Wizard” Golf shirt, it’s based on the performance and appearance of the product.

Additionally, I would ask your contractor to give you addresses of houses they have done with the Shingle Vent II. I think it’s ugly as sin, and I suspect the “external baffle” is a gimmick.