Where to strike valley?

I should be having my roof done this coming week and want to make sure I have all my research done. Due to an earlier post with a valley done incorrect I have a question!

When striking a valley while doing a closed cut valley (not a roofer - I think that is what it is called - meshing a valley then cutting only the top shingle) - I have seen the cut in different spots on roofs. Most of the time I see the cut or strike done right at the seam of the valley - directly in the middle. But, I have also seen some roofs where the cut is a 3-5 inches up one side of the valley. Not sure if this is better for water run off or not!

Is one of these methods better than the other!

Thanks again!

Hi,

The one where the cut is directly in the middle of the valley. This is an incorrect installation.

The correct installation is cut the shingles 2" from the center. This allows water to run off without going under the shingles.

Just did a repair Friday. This was the problem. I have a crew that works full time correcting these kind of mistakes.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

The one where the cut is directly in the middle of the valley. This is an incorrect installation.

The correct installation is cut the shingles 2" from the center. This allows water to run off without going under the shingles.
[/quote]

I agree, except I cut mine 2" from center on the top, to 2 1/2" from center on the bottom because there is more water on the bottom and logic points to increased velocity of the water flow.

i like the cut up a little.
2"-1"
water drys up quicker in the center of valley.

gweedo

Crop cut your valleys and they won’t leak, dead center cut or not, lol.