Which is darker - Landmark Charcoal Black or Moire Black

I am trying to find a dark charcoal roof and am having very little luck! This is going on a painted brick house (taupe in color) so I am trying to avoid anything with red in it (like Colonial Slate). I just want a simple (not lots of variation) architectural shingle that is dark charcoal in color.

I have had several samples put on my roof but the closest I have found are either Charcoal Black or Moire Black, both Landmark. I really don’t want black, but I do want a dark charcoal and all the grays I have tried (Estate Gray, Williamsburg Gray, Georgetown Gray, Colonial Slate) are too light.

I have heard two different opinions on this but I thought you guys would know. Which is darker - Charcoal Black or Moire Black? I have gotten differing opinions on this and on my sample patch the Moire looks darker but I am having a hard time translating it to an entire (steep pitch) roof!

Thank you so much!!!

Charcoal is GAF.

CertainTeed is moire black.

I would say they are both black but have different shades and it’s really a preference.

The landmarks now have two blacks - Charcoal Black and Moire Black . . . I can’t tell which is darker from the board and can’t tell which is darker from the small sample on my roof. Driving me nuts!

i would say moire black.

That’s odd. They sure don’t have two different blacks where I am at unless it changed since Saturday. I’ll have to look in the new landmark books to check this.

Landmark USA has a wide range of colors (29), including Charcoal Black and Moire Black. Landmark Canada has 9 colors including Moire Black, but no Charcoal. I would advise the HO to go to a supplier and look at both shingles outside in the yard to compare. Do it outside so you get the Sun shining on it, a lot different light than a fluorescent store light.

I can only compare the two web images Certainteed has up, and TBH, Charcoal looks darker.
Charcoal
http://www.certainteed.com/images/swatch/large/lmcharcoalblackpeach.jpg
Moire Black
http://www.certainteed.com/images/swatch/large/lmmoireblackpeach.jpg

1 Like

charcoal usually has grey patches, moire doesn’t…or shouldn’t.

Hi there! I want to know which black is better also. I can see most of you said moire is better. Why is moire black better than charcoal black? Does charcoal black fade? Which eventually would become more like of grey than black. Is that the reason why moire is better? I want to know because I am planning to give my roof a shade of black :slight_smile:

Byoung

As you can see in the pictures, and I can confirm because I just went through this, Charcoal Black is darker.

I have a Moire black and it is a dark grey.

[quote=“byoung”]Hi there! I want to know which black is better also. I can see most of you said moire is better. Why is moire black better than charcoal black? Does charcoal black fade? Which eventually would become more like of grey than black. Is that the reason why moire is better? I want to know because I am planning to give my roof a shade of black :slight_smile:

Byoung[/quote]

Better how? People are just stating their preference. If you want a true black, go with Charcoal. The Moire is a dark grey.

All colors will fade over time I am sure

Just had a Certainteed Landmark Moire Black roof installed on my mother’s house. A neighbor across the street just had a Certainteed Landmark Charcoal Black roof installed.

They are very close in color; so much so that it is difficult to determine which is darker. To a casual observer comparing the colors, I think they would say they were the same color. But since I know one is Moire and the other is Charcoal, I would say that Charcoal Black is ever so slightly darker than Moire Black. Another slight difference I noticed is that Charcoal Black gives a very slightly more patterned appearance than Moire Black, but again only a very slight difference.

Initially, I was concerned about the word “black” in the name of both colors; but in both cases I would say that charcoal gray is a more apt description of the actual color. The roofs both appear as charcoal gray in the sunlight and only take on a blackish appearance when shaded (by a shade tree for example).

In short, both roofs look terrific.

Moire Black has a shadow line, I don’t think the new Charcoal has one.

These two shingles are almost identical in every way (Moire has a slight shadow line). So close that I can not tell the difference by looking at a sample board unless it’s labeled with the color name. I don’t understand why Certainteed doesn’t discontinue one or the other.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2615/samples005copy.jpg

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]These two shingles are almost identical in every way (Moire has a slight shadow line). So close that I can not tell the difference by looking at a sample board unless it’s labeled with the color name. I don’t understand why Certainteed doesn’t discontinue one or the other.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2615/samples005copy.jpg[/quote]

Can’t see any difference at all. There all the same. And everyone says the other one is darker and the the other isn’t.

For kneepads you want something with a soft cap, if it is a hard cap it will slide around on the shingles.

Thl ThL W8 Beyond ThL W8+