Which shingles to pick?

Hello group,

We qualified for a new roof under our insurance policy. The roofer gave us a choice of shingles, and I need your expertise! This is our first major home repair and advice is much appreciated.

The choices are:

IKO Laminate Cambridge 30 year warranty shingle

Timberline TD Gaf Shingles Laminate Cambridge shingles 30 year warranty

We can also upgrade to the Malarkey shingle at additional cost.

It was through Googling IKO shingles that I came to your forum and feel better about going with Gaf :slight_smile: We live in a very windy Canadian city, and we plan on living in our house for a long time. I have tried asking the roofing company questions about these products, but they have yet to get back to me. It seems answers have been very slow to acquire in this process. Is that normal too?

You’ll do good to stay away from IKO. The GAF shingles will seal in a single sunny day, which helps with your wind. But if you can afford the upgrade and find a colour you like, I would go for Malarkey.

check this thread for my latest “review” of shingles.
shingle-choices-t13079.html

Malarky or Certainteed. Stay away from IKO & GAF!

Thanks guys. I am waiting to hear what the cost upgrade will be. Our city is pretty sunny, but it’s hard to say in winter. The review you gave is really good bcman. I didn’t realize that some shingles had a chalk line :S Consumer education time!

Yes…if you can pay for it…go with Malarkey.

WHY? The product is roofer freindly, and because of this, you will recieve a better install. It is not suseptable to cracking in the wintertime installation, it has a 1 1/2" nail line where other competing brands have about 1/2", it has always been rated higher than other brands in when it comes to the wind an manufacturers warranty (other brands, over the years, have increase warranty for the product to include wind without much-nothing to better the actual product.

Lastly, although there are many good contractors out there, contractors still depend on the roofer to put on a great roof (nailing has always been problematic). so the 1 1/2" nail line is somewhat idiot proof.

Thank you Gee. The contractor kindly sent us photos of what the Malarkey shingles look like and pointed out the nail line. I didn’t realize that it was such a tricky thing to nail down a roof. Upgrading to a Malarkey shingle was a few extra hundred dollars; if it will help with the warranty and less headache, quite well worth it.

And you’d also be surprised if you knew just how many “roofers” can’t handle that simple task.

Here is the typical mindset of a production roofer who lacks experience and integrity. Well shoot these nails are going half way through the shingle but i don’t have time to walk all the way down the ladder and turn the air pressure down. Geez these dadgum lines on these here shingles are driving me nuts. Theres no way i can keep nailing at 100 mph and hit that line and i cant slow down or i wont make any money. Brick counter flashing? Are you kidding me? This cheapo contractor im working for dont pay enough for me to use that, plus he dont inspect the work anyway so lets just put the 4 x 4 base flashing down and caulk the crap out of it. etc. etc. etc. :roll:

1. This guy should be using the depth adjuster on his nail gun. You should never have to change the psi of your compressor.
  2. If the contractor paid more, he would get better roofers.
    Just my take from your post :mrgreen:

[quote=“bcdemon”]2. If the contractor paid more, he would get better roofers.
Just my take from your post :mrgreen:[/quote]

Coming from a guy who works for cheap…good one

[quote=“kage”]

[quote=“bcdemon”]2. If the contractor paid more, he would get better roofers.
Just my take from your post :mrgreen:[/quote]

Coming from a guy who works for cheap…good one[/quote]

Well of course I can work for cheaper in Kamloops than I can in Vancouver. My $225,000 house costs over $500,000 in Vancouver. Your gas is over $0.15 cents more per litre. You understand what’s going on here Kage?

[quote=“bcdemon”]

Coming from a guy who works for cheap…good one

Well of course I can work for cheaper in Kamloops than I can in Vancouver. My $225,000 house costs over $500,000 in Vancouver. Your gas is over $0.15 cents more per litre. You understand what’s going on here Kage?[/quote]

Ya still the same prices as the 80’s…explain that genius … And who lives in Van? Or are ya ass-inning again?

[attachment=0]boatlaunch.jpg[/attachment]

Whoops…no spellcheck eh demon?? you would think a guy from kamloops would know how…