Who is the manufacturer of my roofing shingles?

My 12 year old roof is deteriorating badly. I opened a warranty claim with GAF, who I believed was the manufacturer of the roofing shingles. GAF recently informed me that they are not the manufacturer. Any ideas on how I can determine what company to go after? My roofer believes that I have a valid claim on a roof that has a 25 year warranty. I have samples of the shingle in question.

Rich.greer1

Tamko is alot like GAF, Give them a try.

[quote=“Rgreer”]My 12 year old roof is deteriorating badly. I opened a warranty claim with GAF, who I believed was the manufacturer of the roofing shingles. GAF recently informed me that they are not the manufacturer. Any ideas on how I can determine what company to go after? My roofer believes that I have a valid claim on a roof that has a 25 year warranty. I have samples of the shingle in question.

Rich.greer1[/quote]

Put up a good picture of the front & back of a shingle and we may be able to help.

Is the face/reveal of the shingle 5 inches or closer to 6 inches? Is the shingle 36 inches long? or 39 or 40 inches long? If its a failed shingle I bet it’s an IKO. It will be closer to a 6 inch x 40 inch shingle. Plz let us know.

I have been doing a 12 year roof shingle test. The Certenteed Blue Horizons are failing. The IKO Blue Architectural is perfect. I guess that’s why C/T discontinued that line, The IKO realy isn’t that bad of a shingle.

yeah it must be IKO, 'cause bob says so, I heard he has ESP. It could also be Certainteed, Gaf/Elk, OC, Atlas, Pabco, BP, Malarkey. Did I miss any?

Ha, ha, ha, very funny there Kermode. ESP very funny. You’re a friggin’ smartass! It’s just that most of the failed shingle roofs I run into are IKO! I didn’t suggest anything there big mouth! I just gave the h.o. some measurements so he can ascertain his shingles. What r u an IKO rep or something?!

Thank you for the responses, is there a place that I can post a photo to so that you can see what the shingle looks like? I tried imageshack but had no luck. I would be happy to post it on my facebook page if that helps. Several people also told me to try Certainteed. I am opening a warranty claim with them to see if it is their product.

Rich.greer1

The face is exactly 6 inches and the shingle is 39.5 inches long.

Thank you!

Thats a metric shingle could be IKO

I bet its an IKO! Good luck with them!

That’s too easy!

Take ONE of the shingles that you have to a local roofing supply company and they should be able to tell you what it is on the spot.

DO NOT go to Home Depot, Lowes or the like.

Go to a place like ABC Supply or a similar business that sells ONLY roofing materials.

They have very knowledgeable sales staffs. The guy at Home Depot can’t even tell you where the restroom is.

What’s up with your roofer? Are you sure he’s a roofer?

no Bob I’m not, just saying you jumped to a quick conclusion.

A picture would really help, photobucket is free to signup. Lucky is right, best bet to go to a few local roofing suppliers likely they would know.

if it’s a metric 3-tab, it wouldn’t have a 6" exposure.

If it’s a laminated style, then I would guess it’s too short to be IKO.

is it an organic based shingle or fibreglass?

[quote=“kermode”]no Bob I’m not, just saying you jumped to a quick conclusion.

A picture would really help, photobucket is free to signup. Lucky is right, best bet to go to a few local roofing suppliers likely they would know.

if it’s a metric 3-tab, it wouldn’t have a 6" exposure.

If it’s a laminated style, then I would guess it’s too short to be IKO.

is it an organic based shingle or fibreglass?[/quote]

IKO Cambridges were a 6" exposure for a while, the only one that I know of.

Sorry Kermode, I had a real bad day & a few beers in me. Did a flat rip with steel I beams only a couple feet off the roof deck! Crawling around on my hands & knees all week on a soaking wet slimy roof! Finished sticking down the rubber & flashing a million penetrations today. : ) Easy Friday tomorrow, install the metal, strip in w rocket tape, lap seal, & bounce for the weekend! : )

Flip the shingle over and some manufacturers have their name on the release tape. CERTAINTEED has their name on every shingle they manufacture.

Certainteed has their name on the release tape

Try this: if anyone is interested

http://disastersafety.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Asphalt-Shingle-Patterns-Identification-Guide_IBHS-member-download.pdf