Who loves metal roofs?

Finished it today.

The other side

Nice! How many squares? Is that standing seam? Do you have your own forming machine?

How many days to complete?

How many squares? 135
Is that standing seam? Yes, 24 gauge double locked.

Do you have your own forming machine?
Standing seam is not my specialty… my supplier Harvey BP cut and drops.

How many days to complete?
3 men x 30 days. We removed ice damaged (standing seam) roof, skylights, dormers. Working late November and into December the roof was either frosty until 9-10AM and around 3PM the temperature dropped and condensation anywhere became ice. We used GAF Storm Guard High temp that is very slick.

I love a real metal roof.
It looks great.

Why do the valleys look so wide?

The second pic is oil canning, it’s obvious.

[quote=“-Axiom-”]I love a real metal roof.
It looks great. Thank you!

Why do the valleys look so wide?
48" wide replacing the original 24" The 3/12 roof is not a great snow shedder… so some would fall off and a high chunk would slide down and slam into the other side of the valley or slide down the valley and tear open the locks.

The second pic is oil canning, it’s obvious. Flat pans double locked with a power seamer are notorious for oil canning… we call it “character” … without ribs it is unavoidable. [/quote]

The pans are 48’ and 57’.

Yeah what did you use for the valleys? Why not use W valley instead of just a V? Looks to be really light metal in the valleys.

Owe. 24 gauge. Because of the width of the valleys we have face screwed the valley overlaps.

Overall it looks nice but I would be concerned about face screwing the valley. I would have used a hook strip and hem on the overlap to keep it all tight and allow expansion/contraction. Over time the valleys will elongate the fastener holes

Standing Seam = Quality Roof

The metal roof looks great. I don’t
love metal roofs. I love asphalt shingles, but
I do have an enormous amount of respect for
standing seam metal roofs.
I think when the majority of consumers hear
“Metal Roofs”, they assume they all are close in quality /
life expectancy / etc.
Professional roofers know that there is no comparison between
screw down barn style metal roofs and standing seam.
The investment is much higher with standing seam of course. We actually
just made an article about this and posted it on our website.
Metal Roofs in Erie,PA
It actually is a big problem around our area. When we are asked if we install metal
roofs, we tell the homeowner no, but if that is what they really want then we give them
a referral to a commercial company that installs standing seam roofs. We also educate
them briefly about the differences between the two. The article still needs editing, etc.
But, it was a new idea.
We don’t install metal roofs because there isn’t a huge market for them in our city.
So, for us to invest the money in training and tools for metal roofs would actually be
a poor investment at this point in time. It is increasing though. When we have our booth
set up at home shows we are asked quite often. Years ago maybe one person would ask.
Know maybe 10. Once explained that the standing seam cost much more they usually aren’t
that interested anymore.
What is percentage of roofs installed in your area are metal roofs. I would say 1% or less in our area.

[quote=“onarooftop”]Standing Seam = Quality Roof

The metal roof looks great. I don’t
love metal roofs. I love asphalt shingles, but
I do have an enormous amount of respect for
standing seam metal roofs.
I think when the majority of consumers hear
“Metal Roofs”, they assume they all are close in quality /
life expectancy / etc.
Professional roofers know that there is no comparison between
screw down barn style metal roofs and standing seam.
The investment is much higher with standing seam of course. We actually
just made an article about this and posted it on our website.
Metal Roofs in Erie,PA
It actually is a big problem around our area. When we are asked if we install metal
roofs, we tell the homeowner no, but if that is what they really want then we give them
a referral to a commercial company that installs standing seam roofs. We also educate
them briefly about the differences between the two. The article still needs editing, etc.
But, it was a new idea.
We don’t install metal roofs because there isn’t a huge market for them in our city.
So, for us to invest the money in training and tools for metal roofs would actually be
a poor investment at this point in time. It is increasing though. When we have our booth
set up at home shows we are asked quite often. Years ago maybe one person would ask.
Know maybe 10. Once explained that the standing seam cost much more they usually aren’t
that interested anymore.
What is percentage of roofs installed in your area are metal roofs. I would say 1% or less in our area.[/quote]

We have some jokers selling exposed fastener agri panels as residential roofing in my area.
Personnally I think it’s unethical, taking advantage of peoples ignorance.

Axiom - yeah.
Yeah once the screws start to leak, there isn’t a lot
of options for a residential home that i am aware of.
You can caulk every screw or install a larger screw to
replace the ones that wobbled loose?
I see they make
some discs that you can install over the screws, but
I think that would look horrible on a residential house.

We install exposed fastener metal roofing all the time. We make the customer aware of the diferrences compared to standing seam and let them choose. Most people in our area don’t have the money for standing seam. As long as the screws are installed properly they should last a long time. No more of a risk than the longevity of today asphalt shingles.

We install exposed fastner systems here and 1 in 3 houses have metal roofs,its all about knowing what your doing.Ive been installing exposed fastner systems for over 20 years in this area and have thousand"s down, i dont understand the bashing the systems get.We repair a lot of metal roofs that are installed with cheap screws or screwed directly to shingles, most times it"s installer error why theres a problem.
Shingles are overpriced and a temporary roof covering, i can buy a metal roof package for same cost as a shingle roof and i know whats far superior.
I have a 5 v crimp roof on my house which is an Acadian style home and has been installed in this area long before i was born

Sheez I’ve missed a lot!

Neoprene washers dry up and crack, eventually.

There is a big difference between exposed fasteners roof and standing seam roofs. I tried to push asphalt on this project but we deleted the obstacle instead. The benefit up here for standing seam is to shed the snow and ice, and with this roof it doesn’t shed too much and for shear weight piled up here and not there makes me question the Engineer’s thinking it would.

Our exposed screws in the valleys were necessary to hold the valley overlaps down again they are 46" wide almost flat metal. We did however NOT screw through top pan through the bottom pan so expansion and contraction wouldn’t be such an issue.

Sense of accomplishment just the same.