Who makes the best shingles

I have a 6 year old roof and the singles are creeling i need to replace it but i don’t want to do it again i have certainteed three tab now

Can you post a picture.
IMO Certainteed makes the best 3-tab shingle on the market, nothing else is even close.
Perhaps you have defective shingle.

Also poor ventilation could cause it. A picture would help!!

I will have my wife add a pic I have a ridge vent and a soffit vent . it started last summer the rocks were coming off in to the gutters now over the winter i have lost a lot there is bear spots on a lot of the shingle the bear spots are black thanks acil

[quote=“-Axiom-”]Can you post a picture.
IMO Certainteed makes the best 3-tab shingle on the market, nothing else is even close.
Perhaps you have defective shingle.[/quote]

I agree…CertainTeed IMO is the best.

Especially their former Bird & Sons/Windseal 80 Line.

No 3 tabs are the best shingle,lol tear em off and go w/Gaf/Elk Timbeerline Prestique 30 yr architecturals,IMO…

LOL!

Can’t argue with that…for only $10-15 a sq more, you get a superior roof in everyway.

All this hating on 3-tabs again…

I agree they don’t look as good.
From a performance standpoint the XT series is very good.
Other 3-tabs don’t even compare to XT’s…
3-tabs don’t blow off like laminates do, when a laminate blows off the whole shingle goes, and usually a couple above it…
When a 3-tab blows off it is usually just a single tab flapping in the wind that finally breaks, not the whole shingle taking others with it…
Assuming that both types are installed correctly of course.
An XT-30 carries a 80 mph wind warranty, a Landmark 30 carries 70 mph, why do you think that is?

Most 3-tabs are junk, most people pick 3-tabs to save money so they get junk…
3-tabs get a bad undeserved rep because they are usually installed by low budget roofers.
Inexperienced installers + the cheapest product available = junk…

I had a customer a few years ago that insisted on 3-tabs for her high end home on Lake Michigan.
I tried to talk her out of it but she insisted, she knew what she wanted…
She wanted the “classic” look.
She originally picked an IKO 3-tab.
Well I did talk her out of that…
We installed XT-25’s and it was a PITA, all cut up…
In the last 8 years this roof has stood up to significant winds and all that Northern Michigan has to offer.
It is still in very good condition, I know this because I was on it about a month ago putting in a new/additional heat stack.

IMO most roofers don’t like 3-tabs because they take more skill to install on the newer more cut up homes.
I can apply them faster than laminates, once we are set up…
Laminates are much easier to apply and they hide mistakes better.

I don’t sell 3-tabs, some jobs require them.
Use good ones.

1 Like

In the last 200 Landmark roofs haven’t had a blow off. Going back to the past 500 Landmarks roofs had one shingle blow off a 20/12 barn roof were they were put over cedar shakes and on a 4/12 roof over on a 200ft bluff on the Missippi River.

Never had a Landmark blow off a new roof or tear off in the past 7 years.

Both were done before 3M jumped on board with Certainteed to improve the tar and algea warranty.

XT25’s or XT30’s not thanks, I’ll pass.

You must have organic Certainteeds if they are failing already.

Got to see some tornado damage in person the other day in Hugo, MN and got to see what shingles faired best. The one roof that made me laugh had Landmark Weather Woods and the only shingles left on the roof was on top of the only decking left of the roof.

Roofs with Elks and GAF’s had laminate shingles blown off all over while the house next door had all the Landmarks in tact.

The houses with the New Hoizons were a different story though.

The new GAF/ELK’s? No thanks…

One guy made me laugh. He pointed up to his house and said, “I need a roof” while I drove by. I looked up and noticed he needed trusses too.

[quote=“dougger222”]In the last 200 Landmark roofs haven’t had a blow off. Going back to the past 500 Landmarks roofs had one shingle blow off a 20/12 barn roof were they were put over cedar shakes and on a 4/12 roof over on a 200ft bluff on the Missippi River.

Both were done before 3M jumped on board with Certainteed to improve the tar and algea warranty.

Got to see some tornado damage in person the other day in Hugo, MN and got to see what shingles faired best. The one roof that made me laugh had Landmark Weather Woods and the only shingles left on the roof was on top of the only decking left of the roof.

Roofs with Elks and GAF’s had laminate shingles blown off all over while the house next door had all the Landmarks in tact.

One guy made me laugh. He pointed up to his house and said, “I need a roof” while I drove by. I looked up and noticed he needed trusses too.[/quote]

He needs trusses too… Priceless :smiley:

I have not had a single issue with Landmarks, ever…
I have only been in business for 12 yrs though…

[quote=“-Axiom-”]

[quote=“dougger222”]In the last 200 Landmark roofs haven’t had a blow off. Going back to the past 500 Landmarks roofs had one shingle blow off a 20/12 barn roof were they were put over cedar shakes and on a 4/12 roof over on a 200ft bluff on the Missippi River.

One guy made me laugh. He pointed up to his house and said, “I need a roof” while I drove by. I looked up and noticed he needed trusses too.[/quote]

He needs trusses too… Priceless :smiley:

I have not had a single issue with Landmarks, ever.
I have only been in business for 12 yrs though…[/quote]

GAF and Certainteed make the best shingles. the old Bird Windseal 80’s was the cheapest shingle in the Bird line and typicly cracked and went bad in ten years or less. Part of the reason Bird went out of business. we used to be a Bird PRC “the first contractor program in the industry”. Bird was one of the oldest companies in America founded as a paper mill in the 1700s they made the first paper money for our country. Its too bad Certainteed didnt keep the Bird name.

Next time you have a roof put on go with dimensional shingles trust me… as far as brand there are a lot of good ones out there just make sure you research the exact shingle first look online your best bet will probably be to go with a Certainteed shingle because they have a better warranty on there product then most other company’s

BUMP - I’d like to see an update on this thread. With new Codes - 2/12 is borderline for shingles. Would a 3 tab not shed water better than the heavier dimensional shingles??

You are right Sandy.
Use ice and water shield over the whole roof.
Put it right over the existing felt if you can.
Install Certainteed XT 3 tab shingles.

Yes 3 tabs do shed water better than archs but I sill feel a 2/12 pitch is too low for any type of shingles. Better to go with a product designed for that slope roof (esp if you live in an area that gets snow).

Agree with islandroofing.
Must not use the 3tabs on that application if you get snow.