Why do roofers put tarps on the roof?

I just came along a neighborhood where there is no hail damage just wind damage and some roofing companies are putting tarps on the roofs. Why do they do this?

Short term protection from the weather.

hail damage doesnt generally cause an immediate leak (unless it penetrates the decking, which i have seen plenty of times), but wind damage = missing shingles. missing shingles are quite obviously a leak threat.

massive leaks = interior damage.

It could be that bad weather is expected and there are some small cracks or holes in the roof that they haven’t been able to repair. It also could be that it’s standard procedure for that company to place tarps on the roof… or most likely, one client wanted a tarp on their roof and the other folks in the neighborhood saw it and asked their contractor to place tarps on their roofs as well.

If that is the case and the insurance company says that there is not enough damage and they deny the roof claim and the homeowner does not have the money to pay for a new roof on their own than hasn’t this just caused more damage then what was already up there by nailing the tarp down?

The only time we ever tarp a roof is when its calling for heavy snow and we want to keep working. in the morning you pull the tarps down and behold a nice clean roof .

For me, 10 times out of 10, if there is enough damage for a tarp, the insurance company will pay for the area to be repaired (minimum) or for the whole roof. ive tarped tons and tons of roofs, and very seldom do the insurance adjusters even look under it. (although i generally take pictures before hand).

did you see the damaged areas before the tarps went on?

Why so many questions? are you jealous, and want a tarp too? :wink: jk

as i go to work i can see this house with a blue tarp,been that way 3 or more year if tarp deterarate or blows off they just replace. it.it tied off from the ground.

I bet that the tarps aren’t nailed down. They are probably held in place using brinks or something similar to that. Poking un-needed holes in roofs is just bad business :frowning:

By the terms of most if not all Homeowner Policies, the Homeowner is required to take reasonable steps to mitigate additional damages. That is why people tarp roofs. When you call in a claim to the Insurance Company’s Call Center, the Customer Service person will generally ask about the severity of the damage and authorize emergency tarp service if there is any question about risk of additional damage.

Ok well thank you guys for all the info.

My neighbor behind me has had his garage tarped for 2 years now. He refuses to pay someone to do it because it’s ship-lap, so it costs an extra $2000. Tarps are way cheaper than that lol.

[quote=“bcdemon”]

My neighbor behind me has had his garage tarped for 2 years now. He refuses to pay someone to do it because it’s ship-lap, so it costs an extra $2000. Tarps are way cheaper than that lol.[/quote]

?

Often, they do it to conceal from the adjuster how minor the damage really is, and to trick him into paying for the entire roof. As another poster mentioned, adjusters seldom look underneath them.
When I was an adjuster, I looked under the tarps, often finding little or no damage, even though the roofer claimed the roof was totaled.

We do the same thing to keep dew from wrinkling the felt.

[quote=“Charlie D”]Often, they do it to conceal from the adjuster how minor the damage really is, and to trick him into paying for the entire roof. As another poster mentioned, adjusters seldom look underneath them.
When I was an adjuster, I looked under the tarps, often finding little or no damage, even though the roofer claimed the roof was totaled.[/quote]

Ha! Now that’s one I hadn’t though of! Thanks for the input from the other end of the insurance business. Not only am I merely an agent/broker, but I never have talked to adjusters all that much. Underwriters yes, adjusters no. I guess you must see all kinds.