Wind damaged shingle repair question

I had a storm roll threw my neighborhood and many of my neighbors got new roofs so I decided to have an inspection done. The are portions of the roof that shingles have lifted off the fasteners and the last shingle on top had a crease in it. The adjuster was saying that the shingles that have lifted off the fasteners and DONT have a crease can be refastened with new nails or staples. Is this correct or are these shingles considered damaged ? Any help would greatly be appreciated… Thanks

Those shingles are damaged, but each insurer has their own unique criteria that adjusters use. All that it takes to have a damaged shingle is for the shingle to have a broken sealant bond. Of course, the sealant bond had to break for the shingle to pull off the fasteners. No, the shingle will not reseal after it gets warm, since it is a chemical reaction that seals the shingles initially.

The amount of damage to win a wind claim must be around 40% of the roof. Proving a wind damage claim takes counting the damaged shingles and getting the adjuster to agree with that number of damaged shingles. I believe the amazing burden for a wind claim is that pictures just don’t show wind damage like hail to the home office. Wind damage is far, far more damaging than hail damage and virtually impossible to see approved outside a big tornado or hurricane. :cry:

yeah that adjuster is being cheap. if a shingle ha blown off the roof AND the nails are still fastened to the roof deck then the nail head has left a significant hole in the shingle. if the nails came off with the shingles then you have bigger problems like, your roof was not installed with adequate length nails. if your roof was installed with staples and they stayed fastened to the deck as they often do then you have large cuts in each shingle rendering it useless. I would definitely push for all new shingles or an entire new roof pending the age and size of wind damaged area.

Marc

60 to 70% of the claims we get approved are wind damage. The most typical issue is repairability. If your shingles are old and brittle, it will extremely difficult to replace the damaged ones without damaging the surrounding shingles. Have the adjuster lift up a few shingle to around an 80 degree angle, something along the lines that you would have to do slide a shingle under it and nail it in. If that lifted shingle is creased from the lifting, it is damaged.

Most insurance companies won’t typically fail a roof purely on lift alone. There has to be creases and the problem with repairing the damaged shingles. If the repairability isn’t a problem, the insurance would argue the lifted shingles could be resealed using some type of adhesive.

Ask for another inspection and find an area roofer who knows insurance claims to be there to meet with the Adjuster. That is your best bet.