Worked on my first roof!

Hey guys, it’s been a minute.

My moms house had a leak in the bathroom ceiling for quite some time. We were literally putting buckets down whenever it rained. I thought that I could fixed the damaged part of the roof by myself, but we just went ahead and called in the big guns.

Turns out, this roof had 3 layers of shingles, with no felt paper. All of the weight was causing the parts of the roof to sag.

I had volunteered to help out the roofers since it was my moms house and I wanted to learn how they did things. I don’t recall working this hard ever in my life. Removing the old shingles was probably the toughest part. But it really pushed me physically and mentally. My profession is really a researcher.

At first, after the job was done, I thought that roofing is probably one of the toughest jobs out there. And I really feel for roofers. But I think its something I would personally like to get into. Maybe 1 or two easy roofs a month would be suitable for me. There is this church down the road that needs a new roof. And I would love to redo it for them. But I have no dump truck. Just sheer motivation wanting to get in good shape, and building things with my hands.

Any tips?

How are your nails holding up?

3 Likes

Lol. I didn’t nail anything. I just removed the old shingles which had 3 layers.