Working to cheap and cutting others throats

People and companys always complain and wonder about losing work to hacks, fly by night companys, and people w/ no ins or wc. Don’t you think that we as Professional roofers and business people promote, create, and support this by installing roofs as cheap as we do. I have been reading some of the offers on this site and I am shocked that people are willing to go out of town, pay all the expenses, housing, travel, food, etc to roof for 40 per square. is that even worth your time back home? Well i guess I should be glad you guys are willing to do it so i don;t have to. What bothers me is it ends up circling around then every company is expected to work for that price. every time you cut another subs throat you hand them the knife to cut your throat right back. Guys remember insurance work pays very well. Especially when there is an overwhelming amount of it. Perfect example I bidded 8 new restaurant flat roofs(all identical w/ the same general contractor and they wanted a package price). I Faxed them a bid to do all 8 of them in 2 states. 3 days later they called me back and said that the restaurant requested my services because i do all of there service work and reroofs(thats actually why the general gave me a bid package). The general wanted to fulfill the request of their customer and use me but, i was $19,000.00 to expensive. They would give me the work if i would lower my price $19,000.00. I denied it 3 weeks later an ex employee of mine who now owns his own company got the contract for a price that was $26,000.00 cheaper than my bid. Now new construction is easy to bid there are no what if’s or hidden surprises. I figured material which designated by the general, plus my labor at a cost of $49.00 per hour and I lost the bid. i felt that was a conservative bid and i thought with those numbers I would win the contract.

i went and bid a 52 square tear off and the customer wanted a labor and dumpster price her husband is a general and has the material so I gave him a price of 5200 50 off and 50 0n. with material about 180 sq kinda low but hey. she got a bid material included and tearoff and dumpster for 4050 so minus over 2000 for material then a 300 hundred dollar dumpster what are you looking at 600 or 700 hundred dollars and who is tearing it off the owner so after labor what are they gonna make 200 if that how can i compete with that

How long would it have taken you to do the 52sq Ski

I hear ya ski. Ask that general if they have ever worked that cheap.

I hear ya ski. Ask that general if they have ever worked that cheap.

well havent heard back from him when i said i couldnt do it for that cheap…and it would take me about i would say four days on the 52 sq. I have one small crew and I do most of the shingling. I put on about 2 sq an hour. so I could shingle in a bout 3 days.

thats like $77 a square? If they even consider taking that bid, then they are not the kind of customer you want anyway.

I know it was just one of those one layer walkers u just dont want to see gooo!!! hahahahah!

Its called sales that how you beat the low bidders not by price you need to know how to sell. I run into them every once and a while and lose to them but i have had guys floating around 150 where im at 225 to start and not had problems. I swear all i hear is the low bidder, as the sales guy you are not doing your job if you can not close 3 out of 10. That to me is atleast showing up. Last year i has something like 42 to 44% closing i cant remeber exact number. You will lose some but when you take a 20 square bid thats at 3000 and you sell that same roof using the same materials + a few extra items for 4700 thats how you compete. Why work so hard trying to beat there price, i have said it and i will say it again. This is the hardest high paying job or the lowest easy job you will ever have. Why do 4 jobs that the company made 400 bucks on when you can make the company lets say 1000 and you did 2. See there is alot in the art of the sale. How you look, where you park, being observent, knowing who the decision maker is when talking to the customer, prequalifying the leads before looking at the home (this is where you get rid of the people not willing to spend money and your the last guy in the door)

Closing is the utmost important part. If you can not ask the customer for the job how will he or she know that you want to do the work for them. And dont just ask around the bush or ask one time you ask 3 times all different closes and see where it goes from there. I have never been asked to leave altho i have been asked if i want to stay for dinner (and got ink on paper). I am just sick and tired of hearing LOW BIDDERS LOW BIDDERS are killing me. It is not knowing how to sell, that is your problem. I have had alot of guys ask me how to sell, funny thing they ask for help i give them a liitle taste of what i know and i never hear from them again. I just guess that they think that is enough to make a difference. Be selective on who you go and see by qualifiying the customer, why waste your time. Ask QRFL or SKI con. I have helped them sell some jobs. Not all of what i know i have shown them but QRFL has gotten most of what works for me and maybe it does not work for you. Sorry for rambling. If you want help from low bidders then here is a web site spend alot of money and become a salesperson not a roofer trying to sell because it will not work out against low bidders.

proofman.com/

YOU ARE RIGHT TO BEAT THE LOWBALLERS YOU GATTA SELL. AND SOMETIME WHAT YOUR SELLING IS PICE OF MIND . TRUST . GETTING RID OF THEIR FEARS. THERE MAIN FEAR IS CHOOSING THE WRONG CONTRACTOR. SO ALWAYS MEET WITH THE COMSTER AND BE PERPERED TO EASE THERE FEARS BY BEENING A ROOF CONSLET . EDCAUTOR .GIVE THEM REASONS WHY THAY SHOULD CHOOSE YOU. STACK THE DECK , IF ALL YOU GOT IS A LOWBALL PRICE. YOUR GOING UNDER ,YOU CAN NOT BULD A BUSNESS BEENING THE LOWBALLER.I ALWAYS SHOW PICTURES OF MY CREW .THAY ARN IN UNFORM. ALL MY TRUCKS TRALORS EPQUMENT SAME UNFORM COLOR. PROJECT A PROFESSONAL IMAGE. AND YES I USE THE ROOFERS BUGGY WHICH IS AN ACE CARD IN MY DECK.I HAVENTED LISTED EVERYTHIG I DO BUT YOU GET THE PICTURE .SOME TIME IT NOT JUST ABOUT THE ROOF PRICE YOUR SELLING. IT IS YOU

damn dude… way to bring up a THREE YEAR OLD post.

The guy still doesn’t get it.

I am not reading his spam, especially when he doesn’t know how to take the Caps Lock off of his computer.

I see many Bots that are more intelligent than that.

Ed

IF WE ALL BUY A ROOFERS BUGGY HE WILL STOP POSTING HERE.

hay i understand the buggy is over some of your heads .but some of you will get itsooner or later. especly when your competion gets one . then ill be your hero . and these 3 year old post are new to me i just joined. i reading a lot of post now . not every body gona be on same page.we are in differant fases of our roofing creaer…i here to learn from some of you. there are some pos, here. and of corse jack leg beer and blonia roof labors. i got a lot moore up my sleve than just the buggy. im here too stay.i guss i need to change my name to the buggy man from arkansas

thank you for taking caps off I will now read your posts

lol, I wonder what RoofingProFrank would be saying now about prices nearly 3 years later.

Also, the buggy is stupid. There, I said it.

i had too ask my roof help what was caps i new at the computer but not roofing. came up through the toating shingles to owning the bussness , memphis tnn. where i got started ,it was union then thay had apprentace school 3 years , go to roofing school 2 nite a week to get a rase every 6 mo. to be come a jermon roofer . o well this is gona be fun.

no it not stupid over your head maybe . how can you knock it when you ovious never seen one. but i understand you. all these local roofers in my area are scratching there heads wondering how i am getting most of the work at a higher price than thay quated.ipick and choose the jobs i want.go to new roof no mess or roofers buggy .com check it out . least you can say you seen one. oh by the way it dont cost you to have one it cost you not to have one,

Okay now that ive seen one that really is stupid. So you park it on peoples plants? The wives wont be happy about that. What about the 95 percent of yards it doesnt work on? How does it get to the two story level? How many square does it fit in it? It looks like MAYBE 10. How many trips to you have to make to the dumpyard or do you still need another dumpster on site? What about the days you cant use it because the ground is wet? It would make more sense to just get a bobcat and scoop everything up off the ground and put in the dumpster. Either way, you are ruining the lawn. (which ive seen done before)

“Purchase the RB4000 for $651 per month”
“The Patented Equipter RB4000 (priced at $31,400)”

Makes no sense to me. I would spend more time moving it then working.

This guy is also the one who created it I believe. At least thats the idea I get from the website.

oh by the way, it actually would cost 651 dollars a month for a little over 4 years thus meaning it does cost to own one considering very little time, if any, is saved.

i have had my buggy 4 years i know what im talking about . the buggy has wide tires . and skids you roll over when the yard is too wet. you still gota use common sence . the one that do have a buggy dont want me to let the cat out the bag . dont edcuate there competion. keep it a screat, so dont get modern roof caveman style. it not for everone . somebody gota make us look good. just trying to help the ones that are going to the top a lot quicker.