Xactimate - What are the ZC (default/average) unit costs?

To all-

If you use Xactimate, what are the default average “unit cost” prices for various common roof covering components in your Zip Code?

Do you estimate up to 50% higher or lower when using Xactimate, knowing their default pricing is (supposedly) based on average construction costs in a given zip code region?

Xactware’s Position on Market Pricing - 2010

"Xactware is an independent, third-party company that researches and reports on industry pricing. We use pricing information from general contractors, subcontractors, insurance carriers, insurance adjusters, and a host of other industry professionals as we research and report on the average market price for each price-list item.

Xactware goes to great lengths to ensure that no one party or industry segment has any undue influence on the pricing data that we research and report on."

xactware.com/resources/prici … ethodology

Is anyone here using Xactimate?

Perhaps you could explain what you’re trying to accomplish by your questions and you would get more responses. If you would clarify your questions, that would help as well. By that I mean, what is it with the 50% higher or lower? Is that because you made the mathematical assumption that was the range based on the average? If so, then you need to review the definition of average.

If you had 4 contractors bid $4,000 and 4 bid $6,000, the average bid for the 8 is $5,000. Given your reasoning, the range would be from $2,500 to $7,500 which in this example, clearly isn’t the case. If you wish to make it more extreme, you could have 4 bid $4,990 and 4 bid $5,010. In fact, you could have 8 bid $5,000.

There are certainly many people posting here who utilize Xactimate.

I have a xactimate price list that pays $300 to caulk a pipe collar and only $25 to replace it.

Xactimate is a joke.

Know your costs. Price your jobs accordingly.

[quote=“THE OUTLAW ROOFER”]I have a xactimate price list that pays $300 to caulk a pipe collar and only $25 to replace it.

Xactimate is a joke.

Know your costs. Price your jobs accordingly.[/quote]

So a guy with a pirated Xactimate price list found one line item out of a million that seems to be in error and determines, based upon that finding, the program is a joke. LMBFAO!!! Just because you have no real clue how to operate Xactimate does not mean it is a bad program dude. It simply means you are stupid. Big difference.

[quote=“Authentic_Dad”]

[quote=“THE OUTLAW ROOFER”]I have a xactimate price list that pays $300 to caulk a pipe collar and only $25 to replace it.

Xactimate is a joke.

Know your costs. Price your jobs accordingly.[/quote]

So a guy with a pirated Xactimate price list found one line item out of a million that seems to be in error and determines, based upon that finding, the program is a joke. LMBFAO!!! Just because you have no real clue how to operate Xactimate does not mean it is a bad program dude. It simply means you are stupid. Big difference.[/quote]

You can say what you like about my intellegence. When you accuse me of stealing, that is slander and that is crossing the line.

The example I made is an extreme one. It exists none the less. My point is this, a per sq. price is nothing more than a mini qoute. While it may work for averages, it does not work for everything. A 10 sq job cannot be done for the same per sq. price as a 1000 sq. job. It is more labor intense to run a sq. of shingles in a valley than on a straight run.

BTW. I took the training course when I first purchased Xactimate. I’m very familar with how it works. I have even taught an adjuster how to use the sketch feature. Do you know how?

I stand by my statement. Xactimate is a joke. It is however useful if you are too incompetent to price jobs on your own.

[quote=“THE OUTLAW ROOFER”]

So a guy with a pirated Xactimate price list found one line item out of a million that seems to be in error and determines, based upon that finding, the program is a joke. LMBFAO!!! Just because you have no real clue how to operate Xactimate does not mean it is a bad program dude. It simply means you are stupid. Big difference.

You can say what you like about my intellegence. When you accuse me of stealing, that is slander and that is crossing the line.

The example I made is an extreme one. It exists none the less. My point is this, a per sq. price is nothing more than a mini qoute. While it may work for averages, it does not work for everything. A 10 sq job cannot be done for the same per sq. price as a 1000 sq. job. It is more labor intense to run a sq. of shingles in a valley than on a straight run.

BTW. I took the training course when I first purchased Xactimate. I’m very familar with how it works. I have even taught an adjuster how to use the sketch feature. Do you know how?

I stand by my statement. Xactimate is a joke. It is however useful if you are too incompetent to price jobs on your own.[/quote]

Dude, I don’t have to discuss your intelligence, your posting says it all pal.

I would be more than happy to test my roof sketching skills against your own any time you have a few thousand bucks you’d like to lose moron.

Shaking my head?

I use Xactimate and either stick with there numbers or if they seem low may just factor in all the BSC’s. Only know of one carrier who pays this though. On an average roof it bumps up the price by $1,500-2,000.

At a Certainteed roofing advisory meeting a couple years ago fellow contractor said he adds 5% to all Xactimate estimates. The whole attending body was shocked. I asked, “Do you know how to use it?”

You have to include all applicable line items when writing an Xactimate estimate. Have been using it for 4 years and the only way I’d stop is if we quit getting storms.

Ran into a guy I used to school with who works for a roofer in SW MN. He’s got a hundred or so insurance hail jobs and was said to be getting $225 a square. My minumal is $50 a square more and thats without having to deal with adjusters and banks. The lowest Xactiamte estimates I can write are $325 a square. Most start around $375 for walkers.

Good luck getting $375 a square here for a one layer walker thats not insurance. My competition is around $250 a square.