Your opinion on a botched job

Hello all, this is my first post here and I’m glad I found a roofing forum.

I just had a screened in porch put on and it was a gable style roof. They shingles everywhere on the roof look normal to me and done correctly. However where the roof meets the house looks sloppy and unrealiable. Can I get your opinions? What would it cost to repair something like this? I’m in Frederick, MD. Thanks, Glen

Here are the pictures:

wow.

Unacceptable. There is no other way to describe that. I would make sure they come back, and fix EVERYTHING. That is terrible.

:shock: I would be ripping that crap off from wall area and lifting siding and do proper with new flashings,there will be leaks where the flashings arnt even covering,and whats with the tar everywhere?? and ya need a diverter at bottom where the wall continues.

I wouldn’t pay a dime for that work. Get the owner of the company to come and take a look, see what he/she thinks.

Those pictures do not show good work.

What is his side of the story? I do recommend that you contact the owner ASAP.

Hmmm, seems you found what I’ve for years affectionately called “pig-roofers.”

I guess you could call the owner like was suggested, but if this is the work his crew puts out I doubt the owner will see much wrong with the abortion that was put on your screened-in porch. And I certainly wouldn’t be paying full price for the work, as I would deduct any additional cost you incur for repairing the improperly done work.

[quote=“Gary”]
What is his side of the story? [/quote]

Look at the pics,what kinda story could you have??

[quote=“kage”]

[quote=“Gary”]
What is his side of the story? [/quote]

Look at the pics,what kinda story could you have??[/quote]

Not saying that there is any excuse, but in answer to your question:

I haven’t been by to look at the work, yet…

I will gladly fix this mess…

I appreciate you letting me know without calling out all the dogs and stabbing me in the back…

It is good to see someone who is willing to work this out man-to-man…

In other words, what would recommend he do if he doesn’t call the owner? Call his attorney? Call the city? Call the BBB?

There was once a time in America when people would work out their differences face-to-face. Sure, that requires that both parties be reasonable. By the way, that is the law as it applies to roofing - that we be “reasonable”.

You know that I always advocate that all measures be taken to give someone a chance to rectify their mistake. Sure, that is a big mistake, but one that can easily be fixed. Still, I do not know what the guy was paid (if he was paid), etc.

I just can’t jump off the deep end onto this guy’s head, since I cannot hear his side of the story.

There is no story or excuse for that mess,call him and get him out to fix,if he doesnt then take it to the next step…period.

I think Gary is trying to say is What had the guy who did the roofing job said after told about such issues?

A lot of pictures are shown of the siding. Did they do the roof and siding? Did the do the whole job? Was this a GC overseeing all aspects and hiring out subcontractors?

If they only did the roof, theres nothing they could do about the siding and Vice Versa. If it was a GC who subcontracted the work, I highly doubt he even knows about this yet.

The work is unacceptable, dont get me wrong but I think you need to figure out who the right person is to contact to get it resolved.

I have a feeling there never was a roofer on it just the same guy who did the rest of the work building the porch. From the looks of those pics he didn’t have a clue what to do with that wall though apparently he knew how to lay out shingles halfway straight.

I would call him but if that’s the case and it was the same person who did all the work I doubt he will have the knowledge to make it right himself but he should be the one to have it corrected by someone competent.

i dont know guys, im lookin at a 2’x2’ section.
if the rest of the roof looks ok, and it doesnt leak,
i wouldnt be tearin anything up. ive seen alot worse.

gweedo.

Sorry I’m just now getting to reply. Thanks for all the opinions!! This was new construction of a screened in porch with a hip/gable style roof. This crew built the deck, the porch, did the roofing, etc. That used to be a solid wall of vinyl siding that they cut crooked and way to high.

The thing that really pisses me off is that I made the final payment already and didnt realize this mess until I went up on the roof. IMHO I think they need to replace the siding, fix the joint were the shingles meet the siding, and do it for free. This was a $40k porch/deck. If they tell me to go pound sand then what can I do?

Anyone in the Frederick, MD area willing to come by and give me an estimate on what it would take to fix it properly? I am going to try and make the owner of the deck/patio company pay for a professional roofer to come out and fix it.

[quote=“Gary”]

[quote=“kage”]

I appreciate you letting me know without calling out all the dogs and stabbing me in the back…

In other words, what would recommend he do if he doesn’t call the owner? Call his attorney? Call the city? Call the BBB?

There was once a time in America when people would work out their differences face-to-face. Sure, that requires that both parties be reasonable. By the way, that is the law as it applies to roofing - that we be “reasonable”.

You know that I always advocate that all measures be taken to give someone a chance to rectify their mistake. Sure, that is a big mistake, but one that can easily be fixed. Still, I do not know what the guy was paid (if he was paid), etc.

I just can’t jump off the deep end onto this guy’s head, since I cannot hear his side of the story.[/quote]

Normally I would agree with you, but take another look at the work and tell me you would let that roofer back on your roof!

[quote=“dopalgangr”]Sorry I’m just now getting to reply. Thanks for all the opinions!! This was new construction of a screened in porch with a hip/gable style roof. The work was done by a crew that was made up of mostly non-english speakers if you know what I mean. This crew built the deck, the porch, did the roofing, etc. That used to be a solid wall of vinyl siding that they cut crooked and way to high.

The thing that really pisses me off is that I made the final payment already and didnt realize this mess until I went up on the roof. IMHO I think they need to replace the siding, fix the joint were the shingles meet the siding, and do it for free. This was a $40k porch/deck. If they tell me to go pound sand then what can I do?

Anyone in the Frederick, MD area willing to come by and give me an estimate on what it would take to fix it properly? I am going to try and make the owner of the deck/patio company pay for a professional roofer to come out and fix it.[/quote]

Though I suspect Bob has passed by now or at least retired, you may want to see if Bob LaMountain Roofing is still operating in the Md/DC area. If not, call over to RCLA (Russell Cather Levi & Associates) assuming they are still in business, and ask them who is a good shingle roofer in the area. RCLA are roofing consultants, so they should be able to steer you in the right direction.

OUCH

more pics? how big is it?

[quote=“Cerberus”]

[quote=“Gary”]

I just can’t jump off the deep end onto this guy’s head, since I cannot hear his side of the story.

Normally I would agree with you, but take another look at the work and tell me you would let that roofer back on your roof![/quote]

I wouldn’t know until I heard his side of the story. Again, the work is not good, but it is easily fixed from what I see in a few pictures (unless he can’t match that siding). Sadly, there may be more problems he is living with, so far. I saw the problems right away, believe me, but that is not the point I am trying to make here.

I just have grown tired of people on this forum who want blood as soon as they see a few pictures.

After the second post by the homeowner, though, I really can’t imagine a good defense. He better be replacing siding, scraping, cleaning, flashing (not even re-flashing),removing and replacing shingles - just from what I can see. Then, it seems logical that the “contractor” go above and beyond, in some way(s).

I do agree that I am uncertain whether this “contractor” even knows how to do the work. Still, it starts with a man-to-man discussion. When I start seeing posts here that use that basic principle, then I will move on to what is wrong with the work and how to fix it. There have been far, far too many threads here that are full of stupid stab-in-the-back advice. Most of them turned out the opposite of what the “advisers” on this forum recommended. That does not look to be the case here, but again we have heard one side of the story. True?

Stab in the back??LOOK at the fricken pics AGAIN,you possibly think theres a reason??LOL or another side of story?,sorry,lets ask,“roofer WHY the mess?”

dopalgangr, is your ridge vent flattened down under the cap shingles? It sort of looks like it in the first pic.

Thanks again for all your responses. I will take some more pics tonight to give a larger view. I did contact the owner of the company but he is the one that did this to begin with. He stated that they did cut the siding too high and that he would replace it. Keep in mind that the only reason I discovered this was after the brand new roof had leaked three times and they supposedly fixed it that I decided to climb up and take a look for myself. So this tells me that he knew it was done wrong to begin with.

After the second time of fixing he stated that the reason it was leaking was that they had run the roof vent all the way to the wall and that it is supposed to be one foot from the wall. So they removed that portion and the monstrosity is what you see. :evil:

Like I said before and hopefully you will see in the pics I put up tonight. I think the rest of the roof is done correctly, just where it meets the house is the fubar. I also think that once they cut into the existing wall siding and cut too high, they didn’t know what to do and this is the result. As for any back-stabing or their side of the story, they really have none. This was brand new construction, the only thing that was there to begin with was a perfectly sided wall.

BCDEMON, I will check and see if I can provide a picture of that, Thanks