Your opinion on a botched job

A wall is a very easy detail for any roofer.It needs to be redone.A diverter at the bottom of the wall,step tins all the way up and the proper flash detail at the peak.No need for any mastic along the wall.Get him to use proper caulk(and the same color)on the exposed nails on the ridgecap as well.I tell you one thing…he is not a roofer.He may do roofs,but not properly.Sorry about your misfortune,If he is going to rectify the problems,make sure he has some experienced help with him…Take care

finehomebuilding.com/how-to/ … -roof.aspx get him to read this,lol

That works for me.

Congrats on your first post.Thats some ugly shit in them pics!Id be pissed!

[quote=“Agape”]

OUCH

more pics? how big is it?[/quote]

Well, the screened in porch area covered by the roof is 18x14. Here are two videos I shot, one of everything and one of just the ridge vent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxsY1TwHKLc) (all)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGUg_69PD5U) (ridge vent)

Now that you’ve seen all of the work and since everyone on hear are professional roofers, what would you estimate the cost to fix this?

After watching the video, I can’t help but wonder if what I’m seeing along base of siding is J-channel (the white trim piece). If it is, and probably even if it isn’t, I have to wonder if it was properly installed behind the building-wrap/vapor retarder.

As for the rest of it: what a mess! I’m currently dealing with some commercial roofers on a project that also think roofing cement is the cure-all for roofing.

In my opinion I would have the contractor redo the entire shingled area. Replace the now damaged plywood where he obviously cut into for the ridge vent. I would have him properly install the wall flashing. I can’t believe all the tar markings on this roof. Looks like children roofed the area.

When you visit together with this contractor, I would recommend he bring a different crew - a real roofing crew. Those guys were not roofers, but it has nothing to do with the language they speak. I personally know hundreds of guys who speak Spanish who would never do such work. It is the contractor’s fault.

I agree that the shingles should all be torn off. It is not that big, so it should actually be easiest on the roofers (even though some of it may indeed be OK). There are too many faults to try to itemize them and correct them. There is no flashing to the wall, and that is incorrect.

Nails were driven into the siding? Those pieces should be replaced, so again I hope you can match that siding. You realize the one piece is not the correct length.

Every tar mark and caulk blotch should be removed from your siding, and the j-channel should be replaced and installed correctly.

Etc, etc, etc…

I also hope that the contractor will deal with you in good faith.

About that ridge vent. After you take a look at the video does it look like it was done correctly? It originally went all the way to the wall and they said that it needed to be a foot off of the wall and that was why the roof was leaking. Is that true? Do ridge vents need to be a foot away from the wall?

The slot for the ridgevent should be 12" away.I still run the the ridgevent all the way,it looks way better.

Ridge Vent: Starting it a foot from the wall is fine, but running it PAST the hips is wacked, and it looks U.G.L.Y. Personally GAF Ridgecrest would have looked ALOT nicer on such a short ridge.

If the owner of the company did the work, then it’s safe to say you will be needing a new roofer. If he doesn’t know how to terminate a ridge cap to a wall (which he obviously doesn’t) then it leaves the impression that he doesn’t know much.

By the way, gorgeous sundeck. Now the price seems reasonable.

Thanks for the info, I wish they would have just left it alone then :frowning:

As others have mentioned it would not be advisable to have the same crew touch your roof again to fix the crappy work. They simply do not have the skills or knowledge. There is another thing that comes to mind if it was not already mentioned. I would hire a roofing professional to have in your camp to meet with the contractor and you to mutually evaluate the work at the site. There are so many issues that I feel if you are not represented by a “KNOWLEDGEABLE” roofer, all the items will not get fixed or they might get fixed improperly. I don’t know if you will be able to get the contractor to cooperate but this is how I would approach it and see where it goes.

Best of luck

[quote=“noserider”]As others have mentioned it would not be advisable to have the same crew touch your roof again to fix the crappy work. They simply do not have the skills or knowledge. There is another thing that comes to mind if it was not already mentioned. I would hire a roofing professional to have in your camp to meet with the contractor and you to mutually evaluate the work at the site. There are so many issues that I feel if you are not represented by a “KNOWLEDGEABLE” roofer, all the items will not get fixed or they might get fixed improperly. I don’t know if you will be able to get the contractor to cooperate but this is how I would approach it and see where it goes.

Best of luck[/quote]

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately I will be forced to use the same crew as this company subbed the work out to them and have paid them already and want to hold them responsible. I wont be able to oversee the work and honestly don’t think I know enough to make sure its done right and not just looks right. Hopefully it wont cost me an arm and a leg to have a professional here to babysit them.

[quote=“dopalgangr”]

[quote=“noserider”]As others have mentioned it would not be advisable to have the same crew touch your roof again to fix the crappy work. They simply do not have the skills or knowledge. There is another thing that comes to mind if it was not already mentioned. I would hire a roofing professional to have in your camp to meet with the contractor and you to mutually evaluate the work at the site. There are so many issues that I feel if you are not represented by a “KNOWLEDGEABLE” roofer, all the items will not get fixed or they might get fixed improperly. I don’t know if you will be able to get the contractor to cooperate but this is how I would approach it and see where it goes.

Best of luck[/quote]

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately I will be forced to use the same crew as this company subbed the work out to them and have paid them already and want to hold them responsible. I wont be able to oversee the work and honestly don’t think I know enough to make sure its done right and not just looks right. Hopefully it wont cost me an arm and a leg to have a professional here to babysit them.[/quote]

Just summarize all the good advice on this thread and submit that to the contractor as your punch list. Then, inspect the final work together to insure it was done. Obviously, you can get up close with the work to inspect it for proper workmanship.

I agree with what Gary said however I would still be concerned the crew would screw it up. Even if you had to pay someone to supervise the same crew I think it would be money well spent. Make a few calls to some professional roofers and explain your dilemma. Your not a roofer so you will not be able to supervise these guys properly and they clearly don’t seem to know what they are doing. If the contractor is willing to have the crew make things right get someone there on your behalf to make sure it gets done right the next time. You invested 40k in your project. Would it be worth another $250.00-$500.00 more to make sure the job is done right? It’s sad your in this situation but I don’t like your odds of getting a good installation with this crew without proper supervision.

Thanks Gary and Noserider and everyone else for the words of wisdom. Although I think he is being condescending here is what the contractor said:

***"Glen,

Thank you for forwarding the type of siding. We will order the siding specified and wait to hear back from you regarding your roofing “expert”. As it is your property, we are happy to have anyone you choose watch the work we perform.

We appreciate the opportunity that you afforded. Have a wonderful evening."***

So I will do just that. I will also post some after pictures once its done. Thanks again to all.

[quote=“dopalgangr”]Thanks Gary and Noserider and everyone else for the words of wisdom. Although I think he is being condescending here is what the contractor said:

***"Glen,

Thank you for forwarding the type of siding. We will order the siding specified and wait to hear back from you regarding your roofing “expert”. As it is your property, we are happy to have anyone you choose watch the work we perform.

We appreciate the opportunity that you afforded. Have a wonderful evening."***

So I will do just that. I will also post some after pictures once its done. Thanks again to all.[/quote]

He may wish he did not include the quote unquote. Other than that, I think you are on the right track all the way. I often read what I write and think of a better way to write that.

However, the burden is now on you to pick the right person to watch the work. If it is not good this time, you will be hard pressed to blame the contractor.

I know you can do it. You have been a real joy here. I am expecting to see some great pictures of the rework. Way to hang in there!

opalgangr
If I lived near you I would love to give my time for free to help you. That is a disgrace to the roofing and siding industry. They should not be in business and if I were you I would complain to the BBB for starters.

[quote=“Stormer”]opalgangr
If I lived near you I would love to give my time for free to help you. That is a disgrace to the roofing and siding industry. They should not be in business and if I were you I would complain to the BBB for starters.[/quote]

Yeah that BBB stuff is awesome bad, yeah for starters.

Then drag his puny butt out in the street, too. Punch him in the nose. That will get his attention. Then knee him in the nuts. Slap his face until it is red, too. Don’t let him off the hook. Make sure the neighbors see it, so they won’t make the mistake of hiring him. Heck, invite him and his family over, then let him have it. Yeah, dude, get it on.